Sat Nav

Fun with cancer

Any advice on the best sat Nav for a Bürstner Elegance i800 ?

I like the Garmin Camper Units as I find the Mapping itself good and it has Motorhome specific info incorporated in it, plus you can put in the vehicle dimensions and weight in the setup parameters, which is handy for a bigger vehicle such as your A Class.

I like the Garmin Camper Units as I find the Mapping itself good and it has Motorhome specific info incorporated in it, plus you can put in the vehicle dimensions and weight in the setup parameters, which is handy for a bigger vehicle such as your A Class.

Thank you. Do you have the exact model spec??
Mine is the Garmin Camper 660-LMT
Camper for the Camper specific features;
660 means 6" screen (there is a 770 with a 7" screen" - I chose the 660 as at the time I bought I could get it at a much better price than the 770);
LMT = Lifetime Mapping and Traffic, which means free lifetime map updates and traffic info.

Obviously there are many other makes and options, but I've had lots of different Sat-Navs and the Garmin style has always worked best for me personally.

I got the Garmin 760LMT model as I read that there were issues with the 770 and I get lifetime updates and traffic. Even on Motorhome mode it still takes me down some surprisingly narrow lanes, even single track. I think I'll just oversize my motorhome dimensions (currently L 7.3m x w 2.4m x h 3.0m) in it and see if that makes any difference? It really just seems the same as car mode to me.

We have the Garmin Camper 770 too, an upgrade on our well used 760. It still likes to take you on interesting ( narrow) routes, but we haven’t been stuck....yet.
The vast majority of the time, it selects appropriate routes, taking into account our dimensions and we like the advanced info displayed for upcoming hazards ( speed limit changes, sharp bends, high winds, etc)
Our Burstner isn’t quite as long as your i800 but I think the width and height are similar.

Interesting question, has there been a full EU wide survey of all the bridges and road widths, as if not there cannot be a true camper sat nav

With Apple Carplay and Android Auto now going into vehicle head units I think the days of the standalone navigator are numbered. You get a wider range of mapping software on phones and pads and are not paying for “lifetime maps” which appears to be a meaningless statement based on how long the manufacturer feels inclined to support the device.

I have the Garmin Camper 760 and once I set in the vehicle dimensions all has been OK regarding narrow lanes and stuff. I have had issues in France but that’s probably mapping issues from les francais as other countries have been fine. My Garmins have guided me faultlessly for many years, MH , car and motorbike. I wouldn’t consider any other, my bruv in laws tomTom however is a pile of cr-ubbish with some of its routes.

With any nav device usually they will only factor width into the guidance if there is a posted width limit , if the road isn't listed as narrow or such , having said that , I have found that the routing when I had my RV dimensions entered tended towards usage of bigger(major) roads , weight and height and length limits are far more reliable factors . My personal choice is Garmin , have used a few others, but never bought one as a result .

One feature I have taken advantage of with the Garmin Camper is the ability to add a wireless reversing camera. The price for the camera is not bad considering the convenience of the install plus the excellent quality of the image (just as good as the best Wired camera I have used) and it is super simple to install and configure. If you have a Garmin Camper and don't already have a reversing camera fitted, I'd strongly recommend this add-on :)

This is the add-on for the 770, but may have bits you already have?

I bought this camera for my 660 as already had the reciever (part of the 12V power plug)

I got the TomTom Go Camper as I like the TomTom system best in my car. There's really nothing 'camper' about it other than being able to enter your vehicle dimensions and weight. Obviously taken from the truck ones. There's no eco route option, let alone scenic route option, so unless you add stop points you know will be scenic, you just get motorways.

Thank you everyone for all your feedback. The Garmin 770 arrived yesterday evening by good old Amazon Prime. It does take a bit of understanding. Once we get the hang of it I’m sure it will be ok. At least with the big screen I don’t need to find my glasses ha ha ? I’ll keep you updated with my ‘Fun with Cancer ‘ trips. It’s so difficult finding time between appointments but we have a a month to visit Scotland from here on the Sussex coast and then hopefully Ireland and after another Chemotherapy session in December we might get away to Spain until the next hospital appointment. Love this motor Home life x?

Thank you everyone for all your feedback. The Garmin 770 arrived yesterday evening by good old Amazon Prime. It does take a bit of understanding. Once we get the hang of it I’m sure it will be ok. At least with the big screen I don’t need to find my glasses ha ha ? I’ll keep you updated with my ‘Fun with Cancer ‘ trips. It’s so difficult finding time between appointments but we have a a month to visit Scotland from here on the Sussex coast and then hopefully Ireland and after another Chemotherapy session in December we might get away to Spain until the next hospital appointment. Love this motor Home life x?
I have the 770 and I think it’s a great bit of kit. I suggest you read the online instruction manual, then read it again, then play with the device then read the manual and play with the device again. Leave it overnight then do it all again. You will have gained a good working knowledge and saved much frustration. Someone has said it’s not a true camper sat nav if there hasn’t been a full EU road survey. Well actually it is of course a true. Super sat nav but it can only calculate on the information it has and if it does not know the road details it will tell you it doesn’t know if the road is suitable for a camper. I am sure you will be pleased with it as long as you take into account it’s limitations.

I am sure you will like it and quickly get used to it.
Something I have found very impressive is the ETAs it comes up with for journeys is remarkably accurate and agrees with the actual arrival time within a couple of minutes!
Also, if you join Wildcamping as a full member, you will be able to download the POIs for Free overnight camping spots and they will appear on the screen as you travel around. You might find that very handy if you decide you want to pull over one evening and not have to head to a campsite.
I've not used them as yet, but I noticed the Motorhome Fun POIs are preloaded and show up, which I think is a similar thing?

I am sure you will like it and quickly get used to it.
Something I have found very impressive is the ETAs it comes up with for journeys is remarkably accurate and agrees with the actual arrival time within a couple of minutes!
Also, if you join Wildcamping as a full member, you will be able to download the POIs for Free overnight camping spots and they will appear on the screen as you travel around. You might find that very handy if you decide you want to pull over one evening and not have to head to a campsite.
I've not used them as yet, but I noticed the Motorhome Fun POIs are preloaded and show up, which I think is a similar thing?

My 760 is loaded with old ACSI and MHF (motorhome facts) POIs , there’s no way to update them, and one day I’ll remove them. I have uploaded CamperContact poi’s , here you mention WC poi’s - that’s something I need to look at doing as I wasn’t aware they were downloadable.

Then once you fully understand it download Basecamp and start all over again :LOL:

Regards,
Del

I have the avtex satnav and it's powered by Garmin, I found if I put my width of my camper including the mirrors it doesn't take me down narrow roads, the only exception is if there is no other route then it warns you in advance

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back