Sat Nav

I use a garmin that also acts as a reverse camera and love it, i also have POI's download to my Android device using Maps.me this works offline so great for those WC spots.

I've just done a 650 mile tour of North Wales and Anglesey and found that my Garmin 760 Camper will unnecessarily route me down many single track roads even alongside A or B roads no matter which option is chosen. I am surprised that there is no option to prioritise A & B roads where possible as it's a pain to have to zoom in to check all of it's selected route and modify it to a more sensible one in parts for very minor detours around the single tracks. Apart from that it is okay but I shouldn't have to check it's routes to that degree. Using the Garmin 760 Camper I've got used to driving narrow lanes with just a few inches clearance either side now but prefer when they're not stone walls! ;)

That’s unusual. We have just returned from touring France for 3 weeks. Once we programmed in the dimensions of our very large motor home, Dora, as we call the woman on our same Sat Nav, never went wrong once in 2000 miles and we never used a single motorway. ?

I have the Garmin 760 and I am considering getting rid of it. Normally it works very well but occasionally it throws a big wobbler.

Recently, we were near Rochdale and I wanted to go up to North Yorkshire. I first of all checked my Road Atlas then powered up the 760. The route it showed me agreed with the Road Atlas A roads as being the best route. I clicked to start the journey, it then took me on a completely different route to the one it showed on its screen. To the M62, then M61, then M65. In total, we travelled well over twice the distance we needed to ... all because the only choice is fastest route or shortest route. The shortest route is a big no no when you have a large vehicle and I have a hunch that the bigger the dimensions you input affects the fastest route also.

As I’m the navigator and my husband has hissy fits if I send him down wrong roads, I’ve learnt to sort Dora out. I look at routes and then suddenly change it and he says something like Bl**dy hell but we always end up in the most remote France Passion places ?? Dora is our Garmin, we named the woman that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I’m the navigator and my husband has hissy fits if I send him down wrong roads, I’ve learnt to sort Dora out. I look at routes and then suddenly change it and he says something like Bl**dy hell but we always end up in the most remote France Passion places ?? Dora is our Garmin, we named the woman that ?

I have the Garmin 760 and I am considering getting rid of it. The shortest route is a big no no when you have a large vehicle and I have a hunch that the bigger the dimensions you input affects the fastest route also.
The manual states: "The route calculation is based on road speeds and vehicle acceleration data for the given route. The calculation mode affects only automobile routes."
So I was wondering if that means when in automobile mode but not in camper mode?

As a test I had a play with the route options on my 760 to a countryside destination about 50 miles away as last time it unexpectedly took me through a town centre and on the old back road hill climbing rather than the faster more direct route. It seems that an option of an average route between fastest and shortest would have been been most ideal. I even entered mpg to try out the less fuel mode and what an interesting unexpected route that chose! Definitely need to zoom in and check route before following it if not just on main A roads and motorways. I'm wise to it's route nuances now. ;)

As a test I had a play with the route options on my 760 to a countryside destination about 50 miles away as last time it unexpectedly took me through a town centre and on the old back road hill climbing rather than the faster more direct route. It seems that an option of an average route between fastest and shortest would have been been most ideal. I even entered mpg to try out the less fuel mode and what an interesting unexpected route that chose! Definitely need to zoom in and check route before following it if not just on main A roads and motorways. I'm wise to it's route nuances now. ;)
They all do that, I have Tomtom Truck and Camper, both send you on stupid roads to save 5 metres

Google maps always selects the most sensible route so why can't Sat nav's? Oh hang on, I guess that they probably have better mapping info to calculate from?

Google maps always selects the most sensible route so why can't Sat nav's? Oh hang on, I guess that they probably have better mapping info to calculate from?
I think when you do a destination using google maps on a connected device, it does take account of updated info like traffic and roadworks along the whole route, which the Sat-Nav units either don't, or only when they are relatively close to a holdup?
The first time I used the Google Mapping after I connected to my "Android Auto" enabled head unit in the car it wanted to take me on the most convolted route I have ever seen (this was for a journey I had done often and already knew the way).
I was in no rush so decided to just follow the google route for the hell of it and I did go over motorway bridges where the M-way traffic (on the road I would usually be on) was stationary, so maybe that weird routing was avoiding holdups?

Now the question is ... Does the Sat Nav think she is called Dora after Dora the Explorer 👧? Or did she mishear and think she is called Dory (finding Nemo 🐟) and so keeps forgetting where she is meant to be going? :p

🤠 🦓 🐱

I have a garmin sat Mac but can’t believe trouble I have had trying to do map updates.
Have tried myself and got friend to help but both times been misrouted to dodgy firewall web sites wanting to con me into antivirus system sales. Surely map updating shouldn’t be that complex!!!!😩😩
Also routing options always seem to take us via random shortcuts when set on either fastest route or most direct. Why isn’t there an option to stay on major route!!!!😩😩
Anyone any tips for both???

I have a garmin sat Mac but can’t believe trouble I have had trying to do map updates.
Have tried myself and got friend to help but both times been misrouted to dodgy firewall web sites wanting to con me into antivirus system sales. Surely map updating shouldn’t be that complex!!!!😩😩
Also routing options always seem to take us via random shortcuts when set on either fastest route or most direct. Why isn’t there an option to stay on major route!!!!😩😩
Anyone any tips for both???
Have you downloaded Garmin Express? That is the Garmin program I use on my Windows PC to update Garmin Units and is quick and simple.
I have no idea if the same program is available on a Apple Mac (the spawn of the devil computer).

Have you downloaded Garmin Express? That is the Garmin program I use on my Windows PC to update Garmin Units and is quick and simple.
I have no idea if the same program is available on a Apple Mac (the spawn of the devil computer).
Sure that was what I tried when I fell foul of virus kings!!?

Sure that was what I tried when I fell foul of virus kings!!?
Some programs do need AV software to be turned off when installing. Not one of those AV apps you have installing prompting for updates?

This seems to be the right link - http://www.garminexpress.uk/ . I don't get any AV type prompts when starting the download.

The Tomtom Camper Europe map is 8Gb. A crazy large size to download out of the minimal data allowance you get on a pre paid sim. I suggested they break it up into individual countries (or groups of the smaller ones).

Tonybvi over on Wildcamping uses a Mac and downloads the POI's onto a Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D without any problems.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back