SatNav device - opinions please.

keithchesterfield

SatNav device - opinions please.

For the last few years we've used CoPilot to get around or Camper Contact to find Aires in France but both have sent us down narrow roads and even tracks that a 4x4 would struggle on.

Both devices are set for the 'bigger' vehicles but still get it wrong occasionally.

A friend has lent me, I haven't tried it yet, a Truck Sat Nav with 7” screen which he says is very good and he'd recommend it to anyone.

It costs around £75 from discountsatnav.co.uk – has anyone else bought one from this company and, if so, how good are the SatNavs ?

I'm not really interested in other SatNav devices but just opinions about his one, thanks.

:panda_Face_Emoji: :panda_Face_Emoji: :panda_Face_Emoji: :panda_Face_Emoji:

try the Caravan version of Co-Pilot - it's designed for caravans and motorhomes and you can input the vehicle dimensions and routes will be chosen to avoid conflict areas. There is also a Truck version of CoPIlot if you need that. downside is you can't upgrade from one version to another so need go buy a new one, but at c£40 for CP it's worthwhle.

My lad has one and he is a HGV class 1 driver who also drives the ''convoy exceptional''vehicles.He really likes the satnav and wouldn't want to be without it.The ability to input the dimensions has saved a lot of hassle.

We already have the Caravan version of CoPilot and it sent us on this route and it's not the first time it's not been appreciated, and that's why we would like another device. -

I'm a great fan of having a separate, dedicated satnav gizmo. The one you've borrowed is an amazing price... let us know how you get on with it would ya please?

We already have the Caravan version of CoPilot and it sent us on this route and it's not the first time it's not been appreciated, and that's why we would like another device.

tbh - I don't see that much wrong with that route and when you do come to old villages there is often a problem with large vehicles as these places were built well before the advent of motors so are quite often limited in width. however, saying that we had a couple of issues in Sardinia in October where CP tried to take us onto non-tarmac roads - sure, they offered a direct route between A & B but weren't suitable in our opinion for anything less than a 4x4. would another satnav have not done so?? don't know the answer to that as I guess it all depends on the mapping database that is being used and how up too date it is (I believe CP uses TomTom data). there were also some villages we passed through that were very very narrow in places but frankly there was no alternative route if we wanted to get where we wanted to so had to just suck the sides in!

I'm new to co-pilot and pleased with it so far but I think i'm going to have to spend a fair bit of time setting up all the different road preferences, to prefer, avoid, neutral etc by trial and error to get it spot on.

Got Full Europe version half price in their black Friday sale so thought it worth a punt.

Pete

I use a tomtom truck professional on which i enter my campers vital statistics and off it goes , it definitely selects different routes to my other tomtom devices that are just for cars these often take country lanes which the truck gps avoids and keeps me on the A roads etc

It looks the same as the NozaTec I use and I prefer it to my Garmin or TomTom. Good size screen, easy to use.

Can anyone say if the discount satnav will take my pois and if so how easy is it to add them?

I used to have a Nozatec 7" truck sat nav and I downloaded PoIs on to it with no problems. It was very good around the UK at avoiding narrow bridges etc but I never tried it abroad.

My wife has just bought me a Nozatec 7" truck sat nav from Ebay with lifetime upgrade of maps for £32.35 free postage great bit of kit although I havent downloaded Pois yet because I am not sure how to.

I had one of the cheap Chinese sat nav devices from eBay a few years ago. It worked ok with some nice features like skipping a waypoint which my newer Garmin one tries to go back to if missed by just a few yards. But the free lifetime map upgrades never worked as the Navi software was of dubious origin.

I've got copilot car version on my phone but I can't get used to it since a major upgrade last year.

Steve

Iv'e got waze on my phone, it's so easy,
It even asked me the other day, as I had slowed down, "is there congestion".
It adds this info to its memory/awareness of the situation.
And free.

Homenaway;n13310 said:
I had one of the cheap Chinese sat nav devices from eBay a few years ago. It worked ok with some nice features like skipping a waypoint which my newer Garmin one tries to go back to if missed by just a few yards. But the free lifetime map upgrades never worked as the Navi software was of dubious origin.

I've got copilot car version on my phone but I can't get used to it since a major upgrade last year.

Steve

There are links on the FB site for Nozatec users where you can get good, up to date, free upgrades.

keithchesterfield;n13191 said:
Buddha - this is another =

I enjoyed that Keith, especially when you got to the bit where there was a grass central reservation and you kept going. :biggrin:

I must admit you showed a lot of restraint with your choice of words. I should film some of mine but they would be X rated. You cant have a motorhome adventure without a few goat tracks though really, wheres the fun in that?

I just dont trust the sat nav anymore and Ive learned to spot when she (yes its defo a woman) is up to no good and I just do what I do in real life. Ignore her and keep going.

keithchesterfield Had a couple of these moments myself when I was a tugga driving a Saab (lovely car), Worst was one when driving down similar roads with some verdant greenery at side, but also a large number of trees..... did a 53 point turn without getting out to check the ground first, and ended up with van stuck in a drainage ditch or similar that I had not spotted! :Shyly_Smiling_Face_ Caused a bit of hilarity for some locals who were good enough to come and give me a shove/pull out though, so my public service for that day done! :Smirk_Face_Emoji:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back