Share Your Top Tip for New Motorhomers

Minisorella

Share Your Top Tip for New Motorhomers

I absolutely love this life of ours and still feel the same joy in owning a motorhome that I felt when I turned the key for the first time. I've learned a huge amount from the Wildcamping and Motorhomer communities in the years since then. Just can't imagine how I'd have coped without all your valuable help and advice and I'm still learning, of course.

We see threads regularly on both sites from happy people saying they've just bought their first motorhome. What would be your top tip for everyone brand new to all this?

Go large you need more room than you first think . 2 single beds Unless you are into bed gymnastics..

I'm torn between LED bulbs or a memory foam mattress topper, hmmm.
Probably the topper is my choice... everything else could be spoiled if you can't sleep well in a comfy bed :Sleeping_Emoji:

Write a list of the things you think you need then look at it again and you’ll probably cross off the things that you don’t need! Also just go with the flow of not making plans but also having two places to stay for the night in case your first one is either to busy not as suitable for you and enjoy it

When we got our first van we opened a bank account just for the van. And when family and close friends asked what we wonted for birthdays xmas anniversary we said a weekend away in the van. And now after 20+ years they just give £££. And when we go away we send them a post card & thanking them.

That's a really great idea Kito. I might just start up a separate van bank account for trips, maintenance, improvements, etc, Even if it's only me that puts something in there every month, at least there'll be a little pot for unexpected stuff :Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

Never take things for granted especially if you rent your house out you never know what is round the corner

Minisorella;n25148 said:
That's a really great idea Kito. I might just start up a separate van bank account for trips, maintenance, improvements, etc, Even if it's only me that puts something in there every month, at least there'll be a little pot for unexpected stuff :Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign

It solves the family trying think WHAT DO WE GET THEM now they know MH FUND it works for us. And as I said we send them a picture post card thanking them for my Birthday present or Xmas.

Try it to see what you need don,t buy anything until you know you,ll use it

Similar with Bank..
Alongside my Current account I have 2 other "Savings accounts" ...Well really budget accounts.
I transfer (every month) £200 to the MoHo account which I use (mainly) for "yearly expenses" Thus I spend from my current account but I "re-imburse it" with a suitable amount from the MoHo "savings/budget account". My big expense is Insurance and Initially I only moved £100 each month (now £200 to cover Service/MOT/RoadTax etc)
I regard camp-site fees, Diesel and Gas, also Food, as living expenses and pay those out of my normal bank but use a credit card for Fuel Shopping Clothes etc.
I also transfer £100 a month to a Thai Flights Savings account.. This covers our flights plus a bit for extra travel insurance.
Long live internet Banking and no fee credit/debit cards.

The only hiccup with this is "Cash for Europe" (NO I am not paying the Brexit Bill)
I have a PO cashcard but apart from the nuisance of pre-paying I pay a surcharge for getting cash with it... Not good So I pay a similar surcharge using my Debit card.
I also get cash (if I see a good rate) before I go (Thomas Cook Tesco any bank or travel agent.
I have read the various posts on other solutions (for pre-paid cashcards) but as yet fail to be convinced !

Works for us!
I think it is a good idea to do something similar with individual preference as regards detail...Do what suits you !

Last edited:
Walk around the van before setting from a site to check for items next to wheels and cable still connected, move the van off the pitch then look where the van was parked for items you threw under the van when it started raining.

Hire a van for a weeks holiday and see if it realy is what you want, it can be a lot of money stood on the drive if not suitable, just like marriage, try before you buy, oops

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back