Share Your Top Tip for New Motorhomers

When parking up always try and reverse onto your plot pitch especially if it’s grass just in case you get stuck it’s easier to tow from the front and I’ve even heard of mhs having the chassis damaged by getting towed from behind by tractors.

Always park at least 50 metres away from my van!

Robmac;n25361 said:
What like a pint beer glass doubling up as a Vodka glass as well Annie?

Yes and vodka doubles as mouthwash and Baileys doubles as milk in tea and coffee. ?????☕

Campervanannie;n25370 said:
Yes and vodka doubles as mouthwash and Baileys doubles as milk in tea and coffee. ?????☕

Use Vodka as a mouthwash!! I hope you swallow it and not spit it out!! :Speak_No_Evil_Monke:Surprised_Face_Emoj

Ooo yuk who the hell swallows mouthwash ??

I wouldn't go anywhere now without a decent roll of duct tape. after a blowout on the M5 last year it was used to hold the side panel on the motorhome for the next two months. Useful for so many other jobs too.

Don't drive off without putting all the washing up away. It's easier when all the plates are in one piece rather than in lots of little ones.

Sharon the Cat;n25480 said:
Don't drive off without putting all the washing up away. It's easier when all the plates are in one piece rather than in lots of little ones.

Although that would double up as a jigsaw :Tears_of_Joy_Emoji:

To let them know that we haven't all gone senile and WAVE TO EVERYBODY that we meet just other M-Homers and that they have to decide a WAVER or BLANKER??

Before purchase always check the user payload available -some are very poor and restrictive.

Rather than carry duvets and covers in the van. We have Two extra wide sleeping bags one thick one thin and open them up and zip the two together if its cold weather thick one on the top hot thin one on top and as there is a zip both sides its quite easy to get in or out of. And another benefit you don't waken up with no covers because the better half has stolen them because if she tugs on them she just pulls the both of you closer. And there fast learners.

I've tried over the years but I just can't cope with sleeping bags Kito... I wake up in a panic, trying to get away from whatever's got me trapped :Tears_of_Joy_Emoji:

Minisorella;n26803 said:
I've tried over the years but I just can't cope with sleeping bags Kito... I wake up in a panic, trying to get away from whatever's got me trapped :Tears_of_Joy_Emoji:

Why just unzip it all the way down then its same as duvet Who do you share a sleeping with? if you waken up in a panic

Before buying:-

Research, research, research.
Payload - don't pay till you see it on a weighbridge.
Layout.

Then write out your specification of must haves/don't wants, before even considering buying.
Buy first one secondhand, preferably privately.

After buying:-

Good parabolic mirrors, if not fitted.
Re-fillable gas cylinders.
Improve electric generation with solar or Battery-to-Battery charger.
For wildcamping - a second cassette.

Don't travel far each day - it is a 'home' for leisure, not a 'van' for driving, just to move to new good location.

Geoff

Minisorella;n26803 said:

When I was young I loved sleeping in a sleeping bag. In fact my first year at university, I declined the fresh sheets delivered to my room every week and slept in my sleeping bag which I brought home for Mum to wash at the end of every term. That had to stop when it was stolen at a pop festival the next summer.

Nowadays I can't abide sleeping bags, like you I panic if I can't get out, especially when half asleep and needing the loo in the night.

I think my top tip for anyone considering buying a motorhome is - Check that you can get into the bathroom easily and pretend to "go through the motions" as I have met some people who say they don't use their shower (and in one case, the loo!) because there isn't enough room to manoeuvre in there.

Kito;n26804 said:
Why just unzip it all the way down then its same as duvet Who do you share a sleeping with? if you waken up in a panic

In my dreams Kito... no, literally in my dreams lol! If I'm confined or over-heated, I dream I'm trapped in something or other and wake up fighting to get out.
I hyperventilate if I can't fight my way out of a tight-necked jumper :Flushed_Face_Emoji:

With a duvet, any bits of me that want to escape and find a cooler spot can do just that. Plus I'm not fond of the feel of sleeping bags... like chalk on a blackboard!

I know they make so much sense but I just can't. I'm happy with a duvet and, if I'm away for a while, it's easy to change the cover rather than have to wash a sleeping bag.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back