Should I move my fridge?

quilkin

I converted my Boxer L3H2 about 3 years ago and generally it has gone well, but I am wondering about changing the layout a bit. At the back is the bed area (raised above a large storage area for bike etc). Along one side in front of this is, in order, a combi boiler then a 12V fridge . Above these sits the sink. Then a cupboard area (about 700mm wide) ; at the end of all this is the van's sliding door.
The problem is during winter/spring use, when I need the heating on (albeit a little) at night. If I'm hooked up to electric, the combi boiler on its own is fairly quiet and doesn't wake me (it's more noisy on gas). But being right next to the fridge, it puts an extra heating load on the fridge and causes that to switch on more frequently - and the fridge turning on and off is noisy enough to wake me.
I could temporarily remove the sink, take apart the cupboard area, move the fridge to near the sliding door, then rebuild the cupboards and replace the sink. This would decouple it from being heated by the boiler, and move it a bit further away from earshot when I'm sleeping.
But that's a lot of work and I'm unsure of whether it will have the desired effect. Any thoughts?

I’m having a similar problem. Although mine is the inverter affecting the mini freezer. I’d laid 6mm cable from the leisure batteries to the front of the van to fit a diesel heater. I’m now using this to power the freezer, which will sit on the water tank box. The cushions for the rear passengers, I rarely take, will be in the loft at home, freeing up more cabin space. I suppose they would need to be replaced for MOT.
I’ll put the heater where the freezer lived.

Can't you insulate between the fridge and the boiler to save all that work?
K ;)
Yes, thanks, that's what I ended up doing. Also added more padding under the feet and other places where it touches the framework, to reduce vibration noise permeating through everything else.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back