Sikaflex....what one?

I always use Stixall to fit a standard panel (answering the OP), much cheaper and still does the job, I think if you search the WWW you won't find any panels that have ever fallen off, I never bother with screws either.

Reading up on Stixall I see that it too is a Sika product!
Was I being slow?

Not really, they only bought the parent company recently.

Thanks everyone for your input.
I've gone with the majority verdict both here and elsewhere on the internet and ordered 512.

If it helps, 512 was what you used to stick my new bathroom skylight on my Avondale caravan for me about 12 years ago!

Talking about debonding, the fixed sloping rooflight over the cab in my Hobby decided to become de bonded on a Belgian motorway, fortunately the rubber skirt to pretty up the design flapped about and made us aware of the problem. The rooflight was a problem on a number of vans but not all. My dealer refixed it under the water ingress warranty at about 4 years old. Gaffer tape held it in place for about 3 months but it was a real so and so to get the glue residue off the roof before they remixed the roof light.

I have just re-done mine with 291i which I think is the bonding one. This is however the second time I have had to glue the solar equipment down in about five years. I noticed the solar panel had come loose in spring this year. The first attempt failed at the plastic fittings side of the joint, it stuck pretty well to the painted aluminium of my S-karosser but did not like the plastic on any thing I had used it on (solar panel, wiring box, reversing camera mount). I was able to remove the first application quite cleanly from the roof with a sharp wood chisel, so that was not really a problem. This time I have roughed up the plastic with some 80 grit sand paper in the hope it will bond better. I hope this history is some help.

I have just found this on my hard drive:-

Areas of Application
Sikaflex®-291i is a multipurpose product used
in marine constructions. It is suitable for
making elastic, vibration-resistant joint seals,
and can also be used for a variety of interior
sealing applications. Sikaflex®-291i bonds
extremely well to the materials commonly
used in marine construction like wood,
metals, metal primers and paint coatings (2-
C systems), ceramic materials and plastics
(FRP, etc.). Sikaflex®-291i must not be used
to seal plastics that are prone to stress
cracking (e.g. PMMA, PC, etc.). This
product is suitable for experienced
professional users only. Test with actual
substrates and conditions have to be
performed to ensure adhesion and
material compatibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used all three types, they all seem to do the job, just in case you are wondering they also do a universal one (filler, ahesive and weatherproofer).

512 is the wrong one to use as stated here. After reading all the datasheets the best one to use (i.e strongest) is Soudal's fixall, this has a strength of 3.5N/mm2 vs sikaflex 512 1.8N/mm2, the Stixall others here have stated using is 1.5N/mm2, Sikaflex 292i, the one they say to use is 3N/mm2.

There's also other factors in play, like elongation at break, can it stretch enough to handle any overwhelming forces before breaking, and the shore hardness etc.

The datasheet below clearly defines 512 as a sealant at the top and 292i as adhesive.

Last edited:
Think if you use the correct build process . Primer. activator that is comparable with the sealer it will be ok. I Understand putting extra fixings in. And each to there own. Most Windscreens are bonded in. But i don't see any extra fixings in them. And nobody seems worried about a windscreen debonding
Never seen a windscreen come off but seen plenty that have leaked .

I always use Stixall to fit a standard panel (answering the OP), much cheaper and still does the job, I think if you search the WWW you won't find any panels that have ever fallen off, I never bother with screws either.
Not so !!! their was a post several months ago on a forum, motorhome matters , a panel came of on a motorway luckily causing no damage to other's, I asked my insurance company about solar panel's the reply was OK if professionally fitted ,

Last edited:
Keep seeing this solar panel which is about 10 meters from the side of the A31 (Ferndown By-Pass)
Ameysford Rd
Ferndown BH22 9HQ
50.818500, -1.901773

IMG_20201126_154509.jpg

Never seen a windscreen come off but seen plenty that have leaked .
Our windscreen detached, it was only the wiper blades holding it down. I wondered what the banging was? We did have water getting in, but it dripped towards the back of the cab. This was a vito btw.

How hard are they to remove when
Personally speaking I tried various Sikaflex products and followed their instructions to the letter and was very disapointed with the results, from then on I have always used Stixall which is cheaper and it sticks like SH*T !

As for sticking a solar panel on the roof of a van, even with the remotest chance of it coming unstuck, as this is the case I would never/ever do such a thing and would always use a permanent form of attachment.
Sticks li,e sh×t ia also a strong adhesive

I used Sikaflex 292i when fitting an additional solar panel to my Pilote C class After speaking to Pilote, and a couple of suppliers & fitters of solar panels.
Mounted behind the factory fitted panel using 50mm x 50mm ali angle iron brackets x 4, the recommended Sikaflex cleaner / activator and roughened up the brackets & roof as instructed. As per the the factory fitted panel didn’t bother with screws.

I used Sikaflex 292i when fitting an additional solar panel to my Pilote C class After speaking to Pilote, and a couple of suppliers & fitters of solar panels.
Mounted behind the factory fitted panel using 50mm x 50mm ali angle iron brackets x 4, the recommended Sikaflex cleaner / activator and roughened up the brackets & roof as instructed. As per the the factory fitted panel didn’t bother with screws.
Love reading your postdoing what the company say, ie, cleaner/activator, yes some will get away with just the sealer, but big thumbs up for following it threw (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back