Smart motorways

M 1 near Sheffield a driver broke down and was killed motorway closed for 5 hours . by the time it take to close lanes it is to late

M 1 near Sheffield a driver broke down and was killed motorway closed for 5 hours . by the time it take to close lanes it is to late
On the now rare occasions I visit my home city of Sheffield I have to negotiate the M42 ( partly a so called smart motorway) and then the (is swearing allowed) dangerous M1.
I'd rather take the scenic route from the M42 and spend the extra hour through Derbyshire, Matlock, Matlock Bath, etc, etc.
It really is time the powers that be had a rethink.

If you’ve ever had to attend a breakdown ( or been broken down) on a motorways Hard Shoulder, you will know how potentially dangerous it can be while you are in a lane not normally used by traffic.
Removing this safety aspect is sheer folly, as has been proved by the amount of deaths and near misses since they were introduced.
It might be different if drivers took any notice of overhead gantry signs, but they only do when they know a speed camera is on or near that gantry.

I watched that programme and was shocked to hear that some people interviewed didn't even know what they are.

The significant fact for me was that the M42 trial was rolled out with an inferior infrastructure, including far longer distances between safety refuges.

I won't forget the sound of an emergency call for help, together with the sound of a lorry rear ending him. Good to know that everyone, including the children, survived.

I trust smart motorways even less now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back