Solar Panels

• Thread starter Deleted member 5583
  • Start date

Deleted member 5583

Hello
Can anyone tell me what type of Solar Panels to get. I've got my 260ah AGM Battery. I've been looking around at Panels but I've noticed there are different Voltage ones, does it matter what Voltage they are or does the charge controller sort the voltage out before it gets to the battery?

Cheers

Hello
Can anyone tell me what type of Solar Panels to get. I've got my 260ah AGM Battery. I've been looking around at Panels but I've noticed there are different Voltage ones, does it matter what Voltage they are or does the charge controller sort the voltage out before it gets to the battery?

Cheers
It sounds like you are needing to get a Charge Controller as well?
As long as the charge controller can manage the incoming voltage from the Solar Panels, then you are good. It will as you say sort out the voltage going to the battery.

Choose Panels based on what will fit on the roof (physical size) and then based on those panels, the right charge controller can be worked out (y)

Any recommendations for a charge controller bearing all this in mind?

Any recommendations for a charge controller bearing all this in mind?
As mentioned above, an MPPT will give you the best performance and a Victron unit will provide a very good quality option with a 5 year warranty. Go for the SmartSolar option (rather than BlueSolar) and you will be able to use a Bluetooth connection on your Phone to configure and monitor the controller.

A rule of thumb with sizing Solar is to have 1W of Solar Panel to 1Ah of battery. Not hard and fast by any means, but it is a reasonable starting point.
With that in mind, you are looking at around 260W of solar.
Suitable controllers in the Victron Range would be:
MPPT 75/15 - upto 220W
MPPT 100/15 - upto 220W but with a higher voltage allowance in (probably don't need that extra unless you get lots of small panels)
MPPT 100/20 - upto 330W
MPPT 100/30 - upto 440W

The first number is the max voltage in, second number is max current - so a 100/20 will let you have 100V into the controller and upto to 20A input. The controller internals takes care of converting the incoming Voltage and Current to what the Battery will want.
the Victron MPPT 100/20 is often a nice sweetspot for a Solar Controller choice. good capabilities, not much extra cost over the 15A models and very capable.

Fantastic response, cleared a lot up for me.
Cheers 👍👍

As mentioned above, an MPPT will give you the best performance and a Victron unit will provide a very good quality option with a 5 year warranty. Go for the SmartSolar option (rather than BlueSolar) and you will be able to use a Bluetooth connection on your Phone to configure and monitor the controller.

A rule of thumb with sizing Solar is to have 1W of Solar Panel to 1Ah of battery. Not hard and fast by any means, but it is a reasonable starting point.
With that in mind, you are looking at around 260W of solar.
Suitable controllers in the Victron Range would be:
MPPT 75/15 - upto 220W
MPPT 100/15 - upto 220W but with a higher voltage allowance in (probably don't need that extra unless you get lots of small panels)
MPPT 100/20 - upto 330W
MPPT 100/30 - upto 440W

The first number is the max voltage in, second number is max current - so a 100/20 will let you have 100V into the controller and upto to 20A input. The controller internals takes care of converting the incoming Voltage and Current to what the Battery will want.
the Victron MPPT 100/20 is often a nice sweetspot for a Solar Controller choice. good capabilities, not much extra cost over the 15A models and very capable.

+ one.
That's good advice, Wildebus.
I have a Victron SmartSolar 100/20 controller with a 300W Panasonic solar panel. I've stayed with well proven, low cost Banner Bulldog lead acid leisure batteries totalling 200Ah, though if I was pushed for weight or volume in the Moho I would go for other battery technologies.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I would suggest getting the largest controller that you might want in the future. I started with the 100/20 but have added panels and had to upgrade to the 100/30. As a result my 100/20 is available. If anyone wants it I am selling it half price and the money will go to charity. Text me at 07764579860 if interested.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back