Taking dogs to Morocco in a Motorhome

Gemmat

Hi has anybody taken a UK pet to Morocco via Spain? the info out there is so patchy. We understand that we need a AHC to enter Europe Via France, but from then on it gets hazy. Some said that an Export health Certificate is required to enter Morocco whats required to reenter Europe. Our dogs are up to date with inoculations (Rabies ETC) we have a British pet passport up to date. Any up to date info will be gratefully received.

How long would you be in Morocco?

I don't know entry requirements for going in, but coming back into Europe I believe the AHC can be used provided it is within its 4 month validity period.

But when you are in Spain, it's worth trying to get a Pet Passport there (Spain rather than France, because France has additional rules for microchip registration). It's advisable to get a rabies booster at the same time because if the passport issue date records a rabies booster date earlier than the passport (ie copied from your old documents) it doesn't prove this dog is the one vaccinated. You need a booster at some stage to make the passport properly valid. There's no harm in having the booster a bit earlier than its due - I wouldn't personally want it done within weeks of the last booster but a few months before the next one due is fine.

In Northern Spain you are more likely to be able to get a three year rabies booster than Southern Spain, where they only last a year. That's important because any future rabies boosters need to be done and recorded by a vet in the EU, a UK vet entering anything in a EU passport invalidates it.

The cheapest AHC I've seen is about £99, you need a fresh AHC every time you go out of the UK, but my pet passport and rabies booster cost the equivalent of £41.65 and is valid for life. If you can say eoughly which part of the UK you are in, I might be able to suggest a lower cost AHC vet for the first part of your trip.

if your going to morocco to extend your 90 days then as long as you enter via algerias no problem but if you need your passport stamped then you will also need a ahc to re-enter unless you have a european passport

Thank for all your replies. Still not sure is a titer test is required for entry into morocco.

How long would you be in Morocco?

I don't know entry requirements for going in, but coming back into Europe I believe the AHC can be used provided it is within its 4 month validity period.

But when you are in Spain, it's worth trying to get a Pet Passport there (Spain rather than France, because France has additional rules for microchip registration). It's advisable to get a rabies booster at the same time because if the passport issue date records a rabies booster date earlier than the passport (ie copied from your old documents) it doesn't prove this dog is the one vaccinated. You need a booster at some stage to make the passport properly valid. There's no harm in having the booster a bit earlier than its due - I wouldn't personally want it done within weeks of the last booster but a few months before the next one due is fine.

In Northern Spain you are more likely to be able to get a three year rabies booster than Southern Spain, where they only last a year. That's important because any future rabies boosters need to be done and recorded by a vet in the EU, a UK vet entering anything in a EU passport invalidates it.

The cheapest AHC I've seen is about £99, you need a fresh AHC every time you go out of the UK, but my pet passport and rabies booster cost the equivalent of £41.65 and is valid for life. If you can say eoughly which part of the UK you are in, I might be able to suggest a lower cost AHC vet for the first part of your trip.
Would be grateful for the info about your £99.00 ahc if possible.
Thanks, Paul.

Roughly where do you live (I don’t want to point you to a vet in Scotland if you live in Kent), and what crossing are you taking?

Thanks, Paul.
Hi, did you ever travel to Morocco & if so what was the outcome regarding rabies testing please? We are going to attempt to travel from Uk to Europe & then from Spain into Morocco in late January with our dog. So far I think I need a health certificate, rabies vaccine to leave the UK. But then to get into Morocco we may need to have a rabies test, some additional vaccines (additional to the standard UK boosters including coronavirus, parainfluenza) & an export certificate completed within 3 days of entering Morocco so we were thinking of locating a vet in Spain who can do this certificate. Please can you confirm your experience if you have now travelled with a pet. Thank you so much!!

Thanks, Paul.
Abbeywell Vets in Folkestone. Everything done online, for you to collect AHC on your way to the port. Very good service and only £99 inc vat.
Then when you have AHC, head to Portugal and ask a vet for a European Pet passport….. €17
Ours works like a charm and is perfectly legal!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back