Thetford fridge igniter

Asgard

Free Member

Despite motorhoming for years don't know the answer to this, so glad of help please. If the gas supply is turned off and the electric mains also disconnected will our automatic switching fridge keep trying to ignite on gas indefinitely ( through lack of gas supply) or will it stop sparking after a certain number of attempts?

Thanks, however with the 12volt left on it automatically switches to gas when mains power is disconnected so I don't know if it will keep trying to ignite for more than a few attempts. It is obviously designed for when you stop after driving or unplug your mains that your fridge gets an alternative source immediately.

Surely if you push the small central button on the fridge it turns it completely? It does on ours.

Thanks, Tidewatcher, it does ! But really my query is what happens if there is a loss of mains power when gas is off and we are away from van. Don’t worry anymore folks as it is purely an academic question as I can try it and see what happens.
thanks for contributions,appreciated.

Ah I see. Interesting one that Thetford probably didn’t think of. Would be interested to hear how you get on.

I was being lazy. My guess is there will be some sort of timer on it, where if it doesn’t ignite in a certain amount of time ( guessing short time) then it would need to stop sparking in case there IS GAS which for some reason/ fault won’t ignite and if it were to build up then ignite ,the outcome would probably not be good. But I am sure the the designers will have thought of that.
Will report back when i’ve Stopped being lazy. Meanwhile will keep the gas switched off

Again thanks for your interest.

Have you checked if the fridge light goes out when you shut the door?;)

I DID INDEED PAUL.W.
But it was embarrassing, because when I opened the door the Salad Cream said “ excuse me I am dressing”

Right, back on the road, just did a mains unplug and made sure gas was switched OFF. The gas igniter fired for approx 20 seconds and then stopped. The fridge display started flashing requesting switching to a fuel source. The important point is that the igniter only operates unsuccessfully for a very short time which is obviously a safety asset.
Thanks for interest

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back