Thetford fridge

EnaC

Our fridge has suddenly decide it doesn’t want to work on 12v whilst travelling, it works fine on gas and ehu when parked. Checked fuses but seem fine any other suggestions please?

Type of MH would be a good help or am I missing something. There will be two fuses for the 12volt side, which have you checked?

Auto sleeper Neuvo
checked fuses behind drivers seat also on the main fuse box in wardrobe.
They all seem to be fine.

I am not familiar with your MH but will try and help. The fuses in the wardrobe, are they 12v or in a fusebox for 220volts? The fridge has two 12v supplies, one to control the fridge which will be behind the drivers seat?? The second is from the vehicles alternator and there will be fuses within the engine bay and hopefully somebody familiar will assist.

Fuse may be beside relay that Wildebus relates

Last edited:
We often had problems with the fridge not running on 12v and this turned out to be a lazy relay. Might help to tell us the year and base vehicle of your van as someone with a similar van might know more.

If you have a multimeter, the easy way is to check if 12v is available at the connector nearest to the fridge (may be accessible from the outside vents). If it is, no problems in the van electrics.

Thank you will check this out
We often had problems with the fridge not running on 12v and this turned out to be a lazy relay. Might help to tell us the year and base vehicle of your van as someone with a similar van might know more.

It’s an auto sleeper neuvo 2015 Peugeot thank you will check the relay.

Yes - It's probably going to be the relay that makes power available when the alternator is running.
Probably in engine compartment somewhere.
These relays switch and carry a pretty hefty current and do suffer - cheap fix tho.
Have you tried following thick live cable back - the return is probably an eathe to chassis.

Thank you will look at that it’s going in for habitation check next week so they’re going to look at it.

I had the same problem last summer with my Hymer. I turned to be a fuse in the engine bay. A 50p replacement sorted it but I took it to a Motorhome repair place near me and they charged me £160 and told me the electro block was broken. Van went in with only my the fridge not working on 12v and was returned with no electrics working. I spent £125 to check out the electro block which turned out to be in perfect working order. I then found the fuse after advice here. So have a good look first yourself, It may save you a lot of grief. I have found the hard way over the last 10 years of owning a MH that most of these places know less than I do about repair. Sad but true

When you say it does not want to work when driving is it just a case that it doesnt cool anymore ? Or that it appears to be switched off when driving (like no power) ?

when driving a 12volt heater on the rear of the fridge is used - these heaters can fail

They can be easily changed if you have decent access to the rear if not fridge will have to be pulled out to gain access

I had the same problem last summer with my Hymer. I turned to be a fuse in the engine bay. A 50p replacement sorted it but I took it to a Motorhome repair place near me and they charged me £160 and told me the electro block was broken. Van went in with only my the fridge not working on 12v and was returned with no electrics working. I spent £125 to check out the electro block which turned out to be in perfect working order. I then found the fuse after advice here. So have a good look first yourself, It may save you a lot of grief. I have found the hard way over the last 10 years of owning a MH that most of these places know less than I do about repair. Sad but true
We’ve checked all fuses that we can find all seem to be fine even put in new ones but still not working. Thank you ?

When you say it does not want to work when driving is it just a case that it doesnt cool anymore ? Or that it appears to be switched off when driving (like no power) ?

when driving a 12volt heater on the rear of the fridge is used - these heaters can fail

They can be easily changed if you have decent access to the rear if not fridge will have to be pulled out to gain access
No power whilst driving fine on ehu and gas will check out heater thank you

Update at last fridge sorted,they removed the fuse box from behind the drivers seat to find that one of the fuse housing had burnt out, strangely the fuse hadn’t blown. They replaced the whole unit and now have a working fridge. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back