TomTom

2cv

TomTom

I've always liked TomTom sat navs but won't be buying another after they've dumped support for older devices. Apparently some that are affected are still for sale new in places.The one built in to my van will just have to slowly go out of date.

Just a post because a feature of the forum at the moment is that a new topic doesn't appear in new posts until there is a reply.

One of the reasons I changed to a cheap Nozatec - I download and install upgrades myself and it does more than my old tomtom did

But even without map upgrades, they are still usable. I know folks who have never upgraded their satnavs since they bought them!

I use the old Go520 & Go720 models & TomTom explained they were not going to be supported anymore as the new maps would be too large for the device.
As these models have a SD card slot, their explanation made no sense.
I have just updated to the latest version of the Truck map using an 8Gb SD card & it works fine.
So don't give up on the older TomToms yet; especially if they are the models detailed above.

If you've got a decent smartphone the tomtom mobile app is worth considering,I find it to be very good.It's £35 for 3 years including traffic information(one of the best I've tried)and free updates.

From the tomtom web site user forum:-

There seems to be some confusion among users having end of life devices with Lifetime maps.

Let me explain if your device comes with Lifetime maps then it will be honoured and you will continue to receive new map updates going forward.

However, you will not be able to order Services(LIVE and Speed cameras) purchase new maps for other regions on the TomTom webshop.

Rest has already been explained before on this topic.

Thank you and regards
Vikram

And also:-
[h=5]MAP UPDATES FOR OLD TOMTOM DEVICES[/h] [h=2]IS MY DEVICE AFFECTED?[/h]
Only a LIMITED NUMBER of devices manufactured pre-2013 will no longer receive map updates.

Newer devices and devices with LIFETIME MAPS ARE NOT AFFECTED.

Customers owning devices that will no longer receive updates have been contacted, but concerned customers can check their device serial number against the list of affected devices

I have Tomtom, and if I am not in a hurry to get somewhere, I set tomtom on Eco route and off we go on a mystery tour, but when the day comes and it is it's last day, I will continue to use my atlas, never lets me down and does not keep insisting that I "Turn around when possible" :Tears_of_Joy_Emoji:

WildCamper;n22371 said:
I use the old Go520 & Go720 models & TomTom explained they were not going to be supported anymore as the new maps would be too large for the device.
As these models have a SD card slot, their explanation made no sense.
I have just updated to the latest version of the Truck map using an 8Gb SD card & it works fine.
So don't give up on the older TomToms yet; especially if they are the models detailed above.

I have a GO740 as a back up, I always keep it up to date with the latest truck maps and speed cameras and even though tomtom keep saying it is too old for updates I still manage it every three months, I also have the GO mobile app on a 7" tablet and my phone, my main satnav is a GO6000 truck, and before you ask I carry the latest map of Europe as well:See_No_Evil_Monkey_

Hi All,

I just purchased a TT a 52? I think from Argos as it was a third off the price so about £75ish and came with lifetime free maps update.

Have to have an account on the TT web site to do the updates but once done they let you know by email when updates are available.

The only poor point with the more modern units in my opinion is battery life, about an hour, before plugging in for a recharge but can be run with the lead supplied on 12v in the vehicle.

My 10yrs old Garmin will hold a charge for months and that suited me as I only use the satnav for the last 5 miles or so of a journey in towns etc where I’m unsure of the exact location. Once switched on I only listen to the directions so I’m not distracted from driving if I miss a turning it recalculates the route or I turn round.

However as it’s never been updated I was finding housing estates had been built on some straightforward routes! So time for another unit.

Cheers

Boots

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back