Towing camera

Mobilvetta

Well I actually towed a few weeks back for the first time with the motorhome, we were taking the Jetski to Tarleton leisure lakes. I couldn't feel it or see it for the whole journey, my motorhome came as standard with a reversing camera, but this switches off when you come out of reverse.

I wanted to have a camera so I could see behind the motorhome at all times, I bought a camera and WiFi transmitter from the motorhome show at Malvern for £120.00, but we couldn't get it to work with my phone, so fortunately I returned it to the stall and received a full refund. When I got home I did a search on the internet and decided to have a punt, I bought a camera for 12.99 and a WiFi transmitter for 25.58 from eBay.

I wanted one I could look at through my phone or tablet as I don't have a rear window, so if we are wild camping, if I heard something in the night behind me I could take a look on my phone.

I rung Marquis to ask them how I remove the camera pod on the back as I couldn't see any screws or bolts, they informed me they are stuck on and also informed me that because the van is under warranty, should I fit the camera myself it could void my warranty if I was to get a leak, so I said to the mechanic could I bring it down and you fit the camera and put the cable in the rear locker, no was the reply, we don't fit other people's parts, so the decision was taken, I decided to have a go myself. I managed to carefully remove the pod and cleaned the joints up, I then fitted the camera on top of the pod and drilled a hole into the rear locker, I then sealed everything using CT1 as the mechanic at Marquis said they use that. I then took a live feed from the lights wire in the rear locker, fitted it with a 5 amp fuse and a switch so that I could switch it off independently.

Well I have to say I'm impressed, I get a good picture as it was easy to load the app onto my phone, I now will be able to keep my eye on anything I'm towing and when not towing I can adjust the camera to use it as a rear view mirror.

IMG_20190818_200359.jpgIMG_20190819_182435.jpgIMG_20190908_112952.jpgIMG_20190908_113348.jpgIMG_20190908_113331.jpgScreenshot_20190908-113711.pngScreenshot_20190908-113653.png

Sounds good. Handy to have a camera to keep an eye on your trailer/toed.

Make sure you get tailor made ie shaped to the body aftermarket ones are more hassle than worth imho
I’m thinking on a dirt skirt for the rear end on mine ,got flaps but a lot of spray that affects the rear camera lower one at rear no plate height

Make sure you get tailor made ie shaped to the body aftermarket ones are more hassle than worth imho
I’m thinking on a dirt skirt for the rear end on mine ,got flaps but a lot of spray that affects the rear camera lower one at rear no plate height

The proper Fiat Ducato ones are available for around £49.00 and don't require any drilling, these will be the ones that I will order. The only other thing I want to do then is to have that puncture stuff put in the tyres, Phil has had his done, the guy is offering a discount to motorhomer members, think it works out at £54.00 for all 4 tyres Phil said, just waiting for him to post information on his forum as I think there may be a few others interested.

The proper Fiat Ducato ones are available for around £49.00 and don't require any drilling, these will be the ones that I will order. The only other thing I want to do then is to have that puncture stuff put in the tyres, Phil has had his done, the guy is offering a discount to motorhomer members, think it works out at £54.00 for all 4 tyres Phil said, just waiting for him to post information on his forum as I think there may be a few others interested.
Sounds good idea about tyres. If I happen to miss Phil update would you let me know? Cheers, Fifer

What a good idea and thanks for posting. I have a rear view camera (not connected to reverse gear) which I tilt down to watch the towbar when we pull our box trailer - however I would prefer it on the rear of the box trailer so I'm going to give it a try.

I have installed two cameras at the rear which are manually switched. One points down so that you can see the rear of the van, the other points rearwards, especially as the view from the drivers mirror does not show the road or cars behind. The monitor is left so that I have a rear view all the time (in addition to the door mirrors). When I need to reverse there is a bout two seconds delay between switching one to the other, not much to wait, in my opinion. Yes, I could have wired into the reversing switch or light but thought it not worth the extra hassle.

I have a £25 ebay china setup with wide angle lens,so can see trailer ,toe ball and about 2 car spaces behind me,it adjusts screen brightness for day and night,it will take two cams .cam 1.jpgcam 2.jpg

I wonder whether your camera has done justice to the image but I know that the image I have is much higher than illustrated. The height of my rear window is above 1.8metres off the ground and the wide angle of the camera just would not allow me to reverse safely using just one camera. Even with it it is still possible to miss a narrow post, which I did, damaging the rear corner trim. The cameras are mounted at the top of the back where the manufacturer had mould a position for one. even the wiring to take the feed and power was in there. These German builders of motorhomes are very thorough!

Looking again I thought that maybe you had been in bit too close. I find that my cameras allegedly work at night but with no street lighting they are useless - You pays your money and takes your pick and do not always believe what the seller says. Mine were a cheap job admittedly but daytime they are brilliant at the job.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back