Truma heater

Trotter

When turning on the heater, the fan runs, the igniter fires, a little heat is felt. About 30 seconds later igniter fires again and then shuts down. I’m on my way to the Frog meet, if anyone has any idea where to look for the fault. I’d appreciate it.
If I/we can’t sort it, my wild camp Scottish holiday, just got a Camping and Caravan Club holiday ☹️
Batteries are showing over 13v. There’s water in the system. So glad I packed the extra duvet

Feel free to say what do you know and you would be right but I’m having a go to try and help isolate it in my basic way. Is it a space heater ? If you knock the fan off and just ignite the gas fire does it light ?
Your message sounds like you have tried this repeatedly so that suggests that gas must be getting through initially each time or it would surely cease to light at all after a few attempts ? If you feel
Heat then that suggests the gas is staying on for a short time as opposed to no gas.
Is your cooker hob getting a gas supply and does that repeatedly work for a short while then go off or does it work perfectly?
I’m saying this not to insult your intelligence or knowledge but I had simply switched gas off once and forgot to switch back on. also , my Truma water heater refused to work once kept showing fault after 30 seconds and I had left the external vent cover on and as soon as this was removed it worked.
That is a total beginners attempt to try isolate the issue but sadly I can’t help mend it .
You could never insult my intelligence. It’s impossible to insult something that ain’t there 😜

Sometimes faulty regulators can cope with the lower demands of the cooker and fridge but not the high demand of the heating. I believe this can be caused by condensates forming gunk in the pipe leading to the regulator and if there is insufficient fall back to the bottle then it can run the wrong way and gunk the regulator. I have fitted a filter on the regulator and on a couple of occasions it has collected gunk in the bowl, presumably this gunk would not have done the regulator much good if it had got that far.

Is it combination space and water heater?
Same for water only?
If all other gas stuff works it could be limited flow insufficient for space heater demand - which would point to regulator unfortunately.

Last edited:
Sometimes faulty regulators can cope with the lower demands of the cooker and fridge but not the high demand of the heating. I believe this can be caused by condensates forming gunk in the pipe leading to the regulator and if there is insufficient fall back to the bottle then it can run the wrong way and gunk the regulator. I have fitted a filter on the regulator and on a couple of occasions it has collected gunk in the bowl, presumably this gunk would not have done the regulator much good if it had got that far.
I got a spare with me. I’ll put it on if needed. I really hope it’s not the regulator. The grief buying it caused me, not to say the cost. As I said, it’s a genuine Truma. I hope.So I think it should last longer than 6 months.

Trotter
I got new gas refillable today at Thirsk and I recommend them . (yawn yawn here she goes again )
My van is a 2011. I ha a regulator that means my gas fire can work whilst I’m travelling. (Caveman simple terms)
Chris explained that the truma regulator I had was problematic and why and loads of folk had problems with them . Truma have updated since. So I have changed to a similar but updated regulator. Just saying
We're coming to the time of year when heating on the go might be useful 😀
Glad to hear that you are now sorted with refillable gas - enjoy the freedom from lugging bottles around and paying for the privilege.

I got a spare with me. I’ll put it on if needed. I really hope it’s not the regulator. The grief buying it caused me, not to say the cost. As I said, it’s a genuine Truma. I hope.So I think it should last longer than 6 months.
It certainly should last longer than 6 months. Is the top of your gas bottle well below the height of the regulator and does the pipe run down hill all the way back to the bottle?

It certainly should last longer than 6 months. Is the top of your gas bottle well below the height of the regulator and does the pipe run down hill all the way back to the bottle?
Yes and yes. Oh! And yes.

Trotter
I got new gas refillable today at Thirsk and I recommend them . (yawn yawn here she goes again )
My van is a 2011. I ha a regulator that means my gas fire can work whilst I’m travelling. (Caveman simple terms)
Chris explained that the truma regulator I had was problematic and why and loads of folk had problems with them . Truma have updated since. So I have changed to a similar but updated regulator. Just saying
Just listening 👂

Does it work on just water or on just heating Del. I know bugger all about them but just trying to ask relevant questions that may help isolate cause.
mid neither are working can the flu be the problem, (need a clean?) or maybe a thermocouple or whatever that proves flame is lit?

Then again didn’t you think you had a problem last month and it was gas?

Then again didn’t you think you had a problem last month and it was gas?
Yes I did have a problem with the gas a week or so ago. You know, like you, I carry a spare cylinder, just in case I ran out. Like someone else, who should remain anonymous ( Er! You) When I actually needed it, it was empty.

Does it work on just water or on just heating Del. I know bugger all about them but just trying to ask relevant questions that may help isolate cause.
mid neither are working can the flu be the problem, (need a clean?) or maybe a thermocouple or whatever that proves flame is lit?
There’s going to be people at the Frog who are brilliant at all things. And if I grovel long and often enough, one of them will find it in their hearts to help me. Surly, no one would see a 70 odd year old freeze his bits off.
Would they?

Have had a similar problem, insofar as my heating wouldn’t stay on when on gas but was fine when on ehu. Gas pressure was down also on my hob. The regulator, truma, proved to be the problem (6 years old) and was changed yesterday by a mobile fitter. He didn’t have a ‘like for like’ on his van but fitted a genuine truma one so I’m happy. Regulator cost £41 plus vat.
I can now continue with my plans to go to Buxworth!!
I hope yours is an easy fix - good luck.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back