Truma heater

Our Truma has just failed after 3 years and we have filters! Not read great reviews of them.
If you do replace with a Truma, they’ve changed the configuration. The Mono had IN and OUT at north and south, it’s now EAST and SOUTH and is not as long. Check it will fit in your cabinet before buying one.

Yes I did have a problem with the gas a week or so ago. You know, like you, I carry a spare cylinder, just in case I ran out. Like someone else, who should remain anonymous ( Er! You) When I actually needed it, it was empty.
Ha ha, yes all the best plans have flaws and when it comes to my memory it’s a big one :) think I have the solution now though, gonna fill it every couple of months. Well let’s see if that works :)

Our Truma has just failed after 3 years and we have filters! Not read great reviews of them.
If you do replace with a Truma, they’ve changed the configuration. The Mono had IN and OUT at north and south, it’s now EAST and SOUTH and is not as long. Check it will fit in your cabinet before buying one.
This may be teaching my granny to suck eggs but I will post as some may not know.

everyone is turning off their bottles before refilling them aren’t they? If not this can damage the bulkhead regulator causing premature failure.

Interesting point about closing valve.
Gaslow write on website to close but apparently Autogas say to customers in person that there's no need.
In a way one can see that it can't do any harm to turn off but given that regulators can deal (by shutting off) with liquid they should be ok.

After two nights under every piece of bedding I have with me. I tried the heating and it’s working. The mind boggles 🙄. I have been trying it several times a day

After two nights under every piece of bedding I have with me. I tried the heating and it’s working. The mind boggles 🙄. I have been trying it several times a day
Senile old git

Interesting point about closing valve.
Gaslow write on website to close but apparently Autogas say to customers in person that there's no need.
In a way one can see that it can't do any harm to turn off but given that regulators can deal (by shutting off) with liquid they should be ok.
That’s interesting as Gaslow are adamant on it being a likely cause of damaged regulators. Do they actually say it will not cause damage?

I don't have direct experience of Autogas - I just several comments made a few months ago on another forum from customers quoting the advice they received.
Autogas publish a "how to" pdf on refilling that says nothing about ensuring the outlet is closed beforehand.
We are aware of someone who has posted in this thread who has had refillables installed this week by Autogas so we may yet hear what current advice is.

Last edited:
Senile old git
Did you infer that my lpg heating is senile? Can’t be me, cos I’ve been trying it several times a day. Bourghbridge, Amble, Nowt. Last night, ditto. This morning at the Frog, first time. No idea what’s going on. Happy to leave it alone.
One thing I would do in future is to not let the tank run out. Could well be some sludge in that last two or three litres

You don’t need to turn off before travel with the R65 cylinders as they have crash safe valves fitted but it’s strange you were told that with them fitting a Gaslow system when Gaslow state you should turn off before filling.

@Busylizzy
Thanks for the update - I hope you're pleased with the conversion.
I take it that you are running both bottles together?
Have you installed a gauge on one of the bottles so that you don't ever have to go in the locker again?

@nabsim
I can't see how the bottle type can affect the effect on the regulator when filling. R67 here.
If we're worried about transient pressures from the pump they'll be transferred regardless won't they?
We're left wondering whether Gaslow are being over cautious or Autogas being a bit cavalier.
This is a regularly debated issue on forums of course 😀

Last edited:
@nabsim
I can't see how the bottle type can affect the effect on the regulator when filling. R67 here.
If we're worried about transient pressures from the pump they'll be transferred regardless won't they?
We're left wondering whether Gaslow are being over cautious or Autogas being a bit cavalier.
This is a regularly debated issue on forums of course 😀
I don’t know Mark, I just know I was told to turn them off and it is on the Gaslow site instructions for refilling. I would have thought though that the installer would pass on the manufacturers instruction no matter what their personal opinions were.

With both valves open and a non changeover regulator both bottles will empty together at about the same rate.
If you were feeling flush you could put a Mopeka gauge on the bottom of one of the bottles and get an accurate contents reading Bluetoothed to your phone.

You don’t need to turn off before travel with the R65 cylinders as they have crash safe valves fitted but it’s strange you were told that with them fitting a Gaslow system when Gaslow state you should turn off before filling.
Partly true but I believe the rupture valve in the cylinder only protects the high pressure side of the system i.e from bottle to regulator. I read that to comply with regulations the low pressure side (from regulator to appliances) also has to be protected and this needs a separate crash sensitive regulator.

I don't have direct experience of Autogas - I just several comments made a few months ago on another forum from customers quoting the advice they received.
Autogas publish a "how to" pdf on refilling that says nothing about ensuring the outlet is closed beforehand.
We are aware of someone who has posted in this thread who has had refillables installed this week by Autogas so we may yet hear what current advice is.

Is the Autogas video based on LPG cars. If so, then the same scenario does not apply, as liquid is drawn off the LPG tank, and processed along the way to provide fuel for the vehicle engine.

Is the Autogas video based on LPG cars. If so, then the same scenario does not apply, as liquid is drawn off the LPG tank, and processed along the way to provide fuel for the vehicle engine.
Good point - it's just a one page pdf and it shows car body panels.
So I think we can take it as being for liquid take off really - sorry to have let wishful thinking take over.
It'll be interesting to hear what Autogas say to Busylizzy in due course.

Partly true but I believe the rupture valve in the cylinder only protects the high pressure side of the system i.e from bottle to regulator. I read that to comply with regulations the low pressure side (from regulator to appliances) also has to be protected and this needs a separate crash sensitive regulator.
Yes - a crash that doesn't rupture the high pressure pipe might be sufficient to cause a flame to go out on LP side so the regulator needs to close off supply.

Del - we had a similar problem - heating clicking and not working but fridge, hob and grill ok. This only happened when the gas in the cylinder was low. Filling up the GasIt cylinder solved the problem.

Having had problems with the original plus the replacement Truma Monocontrol CS 30mbar regulator, see
https://motorhomer.com/threads/truma-monocontrol-cs-30mbar-regulator-problem.38155/#post-82773, I fitted a simple Cavagna Type 424RV regulator, paid £21 from High Peak Conversions, and all has been ok since them, although we try not to let the gas get too low.

Truma heater-boilers are very voltage sensitive apparently and if you hadn't been driving and still had problems I'd have suggested low leisure battery.
Anyway it's working now so that's good.
Any suggestions from the gang at the Frog yet?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back