Two solar controllers into one battery?

Frogman

I'm awaiting the registration of a new van. It's got 100w panel on the roof and built-in controller, and I have a 100w stand-alone panel and a Votronic duo digital controller from my last van. If the built-in controller doesn't charge the engine battery, can I save the price of a B2B charger by using both controllers and use the Votronic to keep both batteries topped up? I'm sure someone here will know the answer:)

I would not admit to any technical knowledge, but I recently replaced a cheap controller with a Votronic to improve solar harvest and also because it featured the ability to charge the engine battery once the habitation battery was fully charged.

I attach the instruction manual which I assume covers your model. You can clearly see the wiring from controller to the engine battery. A fuse of 5 amp should be fitted in line.

Davy

The answer to the title of the question "Two Solar Controllers into one Battery?" is Yes.

I'm awaiting the registration of a new van. It's got 100w panel on the roof and built-in controller, and I have a 100w stand-alone panel and a Votronic duo digital controller from my last van. If the built-in controller doesn't charge the engine battery, can I save the price of a B2B charger by using both controllers and use the Votronic to keep both batteries topped up? I'm sure someone here will know the answer:)
I find it hard to picture how the above is wired up. If you do a little diagram showing what you are thinking it may clarify your idea? (or maybe just me being slow and someone else will understand?).

I had 2 panels (1 fixed on the roof and one freestanding) they both fed the one regulator, the freestanding one just plugged into the circuit.

You will have no problem using both regs into the bateries, me id ditch the one in the van and just use the votronic if its up to the solar level.

Thanks everyone. It looks like a goer! I'll probably use both controllers since I have a panel on my van storage roof, that I connect to keep the engine battery topped up. I'll have to look closely at the built-in controller when I get the new van before getting the screwdriver out! Who knows, it might do the engine battery already ;)

You will have no problem using both regs into the bateries, me id ditch the one in the van and just use the votronic if its up to the solar level.
I am assuming he has two controllers due to having two panels? If so, you need to be careful how you combine them. Depending on the specs of the panels, you can easily gain a lot less than you think and often better having separate controllers.

What panel do you have, Don't know any roof mounted panels that have built-in controller, you would be able to connect panel direct to Votronic duo and charge both.

I am assuming he has two controllers due to having two panels? If so, you need to be careful how you combine them. Depending on the specs of the panels, you can easily gain a lot less than you think and often better having separate controllers.
It turned out you were right! I connected the portable panel via the Votronic, and the charge rate actually dropped! Looks like all you clever people who said abandon the built-in controller and use the Votronic are right, at least in this case;)

Interesting answer, I just dropped my little van into Sunstore to get an additional panel, new controller and one of those new fangled batteries. The technician said about adding a seperate system, Seeing as I can just change a lightbulb I told him he looked like he knew what he was doing so I left it up to him to decide. I'll let you all know what I end up with :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back