Tyre brand advice

mikewroe

Looking to replace 2 tyres, currently have Continental Vanco Camper 215/70/15 109.
Can anyone recommend another brand, wasn't to impressed with the life of the old ones.
Yes I now Michelin Agilis Cross Climate are the dogs b, but I cant justify the price.

TIA

I just buy van tyres from Blackcircles, get them fitted near to you, you "might" gain something from expensive Moho tyres but unless you are very attentive to ride quality, pressures etc I'd not wast a penny more than I have too, they all conform to relevant regulations.

I’ve been quoted just under £100 each for RoadX 225/75/R16CP van tyres in place of my camper continentals that are about £175 that I am seriously thinking of going with. 🤔

I've just been through this exercise and I found that most of the low cost tyres were rated as summer only and I wanted all season ones with the three peaks on, best price I got was for Kumho @ £95.00 each, Nankang get good reviews but they didn't have my size in stock and they weren't expecting them until May/June. In the end I stuck with the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate @ £165.00 each as the ones I had on were fitted 5 years a go and still had some tread on but they were starting to show signs of cracking on the walls of the rear ones and being full time I thought it was worth the extra money considering they are the only thing between me and the tarmac :)

Regards,
Del

I used to have Michelin Vanco Camper tyres on my current Moho but was not impressed by them (but they were great on my old Moho). I changed to Pirelli Carrier Camping and found them better for road noise, fuel and getting out of muddy fields!! Worth putting into the mix when comparing tyres.

I used to have Michelin Vanco Camper tyres on my current Moho but was not impressed by them (but they were great on my old Moho). I changed to Pirelli Carrier Camping and found them better for road noise, fuel and getting out of muddy fields!! Worth putting into the mix when comparing tyres.
I think Vanco Camper are made by Continential 🤔

I've never got stuck with my Michelin Agilis tyres in the 5 years we've been full timing.

Regards,
Del

@mikewroe
Whatever budget brand you go for make sure the load rating exceeds or equals 50% of the plated weight of your highest, typically the rear axle. Assuming you’ve only got two rear wheels!

A 109 is rated at 1030kg per corner if your driving a very light or small van then 109 may be to rigid and a lower rating can give a slightly better ride but obviously you can’t go lower than the limit mentioned above.

Looking to replace 2 tyres, currently have Continental Vanco Camper 215/70/15 109.
Can anyone recommend another brand, wasn't to impressed with the life of the old ones.
Yes I now Michelin Agilis Cross Climate are the dogs b, but I cant justify the price.

TIA
Correct they are the dogs b---'ks but worth every penny ours have done 2k now great on fields wet or dry and on the Rd....when I had them fitted at halfords the guy said these will give a lot more miles than any others .
We have hankook tyres on our xc90 there wearing fast and poor on wet fields..

Crossclimates here had them on for a while good in the wet. Check ATS online much better than depot price they often have offers like free fitting which brings the price down quite a bit

I've just been through this exercise and I found that most of the low cost tyres were rated as summer only and I wanted all season ones with the three peaks on, best price I got was for Kumho @ £95.00 each, Nankang get good reviews but they didn't have my size in stock and they weren't expecting them until May/June. In the end I stuck with the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate @ £165.00 each as the ones I had on were fitted 5 years a go and still had some tread on but they were starting to show signs of cracking on the walls of the rear ones and being full time I thought it was worth the extra money considering they are the only thing between me and the tarmac :)

Regards,
Del

As the cross climates are directional, what spare do you carry? Or does it not matter?

Regards,
Tim.

Thanks everyone for the useful technical advice. As our unit is 3.5t and 7.3m long I know, having used a weighbridge I am always close to the max axle weights.
Having researched for the last few days I feel the only way forward is to stick with Continental or spend the money for Michelin Cross Climate. I found this article which confirms my view. Hope its of interest for other heavy motorhomes.

1707830130519.png

As the cross climates are directional, what spare do you carry? Or does it not matter?

Regards,
Tim.
That is a problem Tim, the way around it is to carry just a spare tyre or a can of that puncture spray stuff that comes with most new cars and vans nowadays?

Regards,
Del

Crossclimates here had them on for a while good in the wet. Check ATS online much better than depot price they often have offers like free fitting which brings the price down quite a bit
Asda are pretty competetive when it comes to Michelin tyres (y)
Some places take the ssip when it comes to Michelin, I was quoted £235.00 each from one place and eventually I got them from a tyre shop in Telford but Asda were only 3 quid dearer 😉

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back