Uk to Spain , Drive or Ferry ?

As others have said getting a pet friendly cabin or kennel is a major problem on any long ferry I have rang and asked giving a month of availability and nothing on offer , the cost is probably cheaper driving through France but there and back a week of the trip gone

Some people enjoy the driving rather than finding ways to reduce it, they may also have
plenty of time, 2 weeks driving through France south to southern Spain 2 or 3 weeks coming
back through France. No crowds in the winter, fewer vans around=more tolerance.

If the weather is reasonable suits me, only fly in the ointment is the profusion
of roundabouts these days on long stretches of the RNs (you know what I mean *****!)
almost forcing me to use stretches of toll roads. Reducing the time spent on the Spanish
costas from 5 to 4 months is no big loss either, France even in winter adds a bit of variety
to the overall trip, and if I get the missus to agree to Morocco every 3 years or so then
so much the better.

Conversely, I know of RV owners taking the tolls and driving virtually non stop to their
reserved pitch on certain campsites, put the hydraulics down until they return home 5 or 6
months later.
Certainly we all have differing itineraries and preferences, that's for sure!

We take the tunnel...using Tesco vouchers. Mrs GMJ isnt great on ferries...

We then take 4-5 nights get to the Spanish border staying on campsites. Our first night and usual one at Pont Authou (near Rouen) is now closing in winter so I need to find a replacement. We then stay at Poitiers and Bordeaux (2 nights). The last night in France has been at St Jean de Luz for the last 2 years however next January we are moving over the border to stay at Zarautz.

For those that stay on campsites I'd be interested in knowing which ones if you could advise?

ta

Graham
smile.gif

We just got back from a trip to the south of France and Spain. We did Plymouth to Roscoff and drove down. Lots of good aires and small sites. As you are not in a hurry, take your time and enjoy the journey there and back.

In February we are going to Spain , we are weighing up the advantages also cost of driving through France or taking the ferry to Santander , baring in mind we have got a dog but we have also got all the time in the world . What do you normally do if you are doing this trip ? and why . Thanks regards Jeff & Lorraine
We always drive whatever time of year Dover Calais for us plenty of Aires open even in winter, down the west coast of France, Rouen , Le Mans , Dax , Beiretz then to Vitoria Gasteiz Spain and onward depending where you want to be in Spain , no Payage if you want to stay off of that, all very easy, one way Ferry ticket so no pressure to get back , we do have plenty of time however so that is great.

We always drive whatever time of year Dover Calais for us plenty of Aires open even in winter, down the west coast of France, Rouen , Le Mans , Dax , Beiretz then to Vitoria Gasteiz Spain and onward depending where you want to be in Spain , no Payage if you want to stay off of that, all very easy, one way Ferry ticket so no pressure to get back , we do have plenty of time however so that is great.
How may brooms ( handles/heads) ?
Ok Dave !

For you, an easy drive to Portsmouth , 5 hour ferry to Caen. Relatively cheap, no need for a cabin. Avoiding Biscay ..
Mainly good toll free roads to Spain. Try and time it so you don't overnight in the high ground
Plenty of Aires and overnight stops available on POIs and Park4 night..
Take it easy ... And enjoy yourselves.
Hi Paul & Jenny do we have to come out of the motorhome & leave the dog, that,s why we use the tunnel at Dover because Roxy is scared witless

We no longer have dogs, miss them very much, but can live with that , the ferry trip Dover Calais is at most one and a half hours, surely a dog can be on it's own for that period of time in a van with food and water. and it's comfort toys etc, and maybe a radio or other music for company? In the dark days when we were both out at work our dogs sat happily at home for 5 hours a day on their own,

Killerthedog.jpg

There is an open topdeck, Lorraine. Passengers took their dogs up there.
There's a cafe and bar as well. And a roped off pet exercise area, that's regularly hosed down .
I believe there's a new boat due to come into service.
It might be worth checking with Brittany Ferries.
Check their website.
Good luck.

I've use a similar route in recent years, presumably you divert to Dax to avoid the old RN 10
which is now Tolled? Between Le Mans and Dax is a long gap so where do you get to before
Dax without adding a fair few miles? After Dax did you mean Biarritz?

Vitoria-Gasteiz, reminds me;
I know a few people get a bit confused in Basque country with the double barrel place names
such as Vitoria-Gasteiz or San Sebastian-Donostia, just Spanish and Basque for same place.

Yes its only about 4 hrs don,t you ever leave it on its own ?
Yes we leave her and she is very good, but don't leave her when we know things that she is shit scared of for example travelling, fireworks anything that makes loud noisy's, they are going to make her go under anything she can get under, shaking

We no longer have dogs, miss them very much, but can live with that , the ferry trip Dover Calais is at most one and a half hours, surely a dog can be on it's own for that period of time in a van with food and water. and it's comfort toys etc, and maybe a radio or other music for company? In the dark days when we were both out at work our dogs sat happily at home for 5 hours a day on their own,
I would have no trouble leaving Roxy at home for 5 - 6 hours with the radio on, the Dover Dunkirk crossing she was very nervous on I think it is all the engine noise we had left her too on her own, she seemed to settle on the tunnel after 10 minutes when she realised we were staying with her, but I honestly think a lot of the time it is me

We go tunnel every time. Like the speed of embarking and disembarking. Hate ferry, although Dave fine with it. We just take three nights or more going and three weeks returning, buy a ticket for return but it is easy to change dates. Think, for us, it worked similar costs. Went with the dog, it was just simple and no problem finding places to stop free. As everyone says, it's such an individual choice.
Enjoy whatever you do.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back