USA & Canada but really Canada/USA

I believe the final cog is now in place with documentation from Gas-it and the company who installed our gas-it.
Double confirmation of the 80% max fill level.
Thus I am confident to go ahead with booking in due course.
My other post re electrics are just my being fussy and solutions if cold can be purchased in Canada/USA (Walmart).

I will just have to look out not to drive on the sidewalk and take care with our trash
Make sure I ask for Propane or Diesel and not gas etc.
Thanks to all for the various replies and comments

I have considered USA and Canad for some time "MOJO"'s posts have rekindled this
PLAN A (now defunct)
Ship MoHo to Baltimore use an ESTA visa for USA for 3 months
Enter Canada for another 3 months return from Halifax
This does not work as the 3 month time limit includes Canada !

PLAN B get a 6 month Canada visa
MoHo to Halifax Fly to Halifax
Still get a 3 month ESTA visa for USA so we can travel in USA and Canada
Go to Canada I went to see my brother and his wife when I was 19 they had a motorhome and took me away for a week it is unbeliever such a lovely place and so many places to park up I think that trip started me on mototerhomeing (y)

A few ideas would be great
I have divided the trip into 6 stages
1 Halifax to Ottowa...pretty content with places to visit here
2 Ottowa to Calgary Ok with Algonquin but ideas of nice places on the way to Calgary via Winnipeg (eg Badlands)
3 Calgary and the Rockies to USA (Missoula) spoilt for choice
4 Montana Wyoming South Dakoata again spoilt for choice (Yellowstone and the Black hills of D)
5 East south of Chicago via Columbus to Scranton....This is where I could really do with Ideas
6 Scranton to Albany & Vermont..again spoilt for choice
Finally back into Canada and Halifax

All suggestions welcome please but especially stage 5
We are not great with cities and prefer interesting countryside etc

Thanks in anticipation

Regarding stage 5, we toured this area a couple of years ago when over there for the total eclipse. We were surprised at the beautiful countryside, particularly in Pennsylvania which we had expected to be more industrial.
Interesting Amish areas around Lancaster with excellent food at their markets.
We enjoyed the tour at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
If you have any interest in aviation, possibly the best aviation museum in the world at Dayton which includes the amazing Valkyrie
Frank Lloyd Wright‘s Fallingwater is well worth visiting, but book well ahead.
There are loads of other things to do and see in the area, such as preserved railways and loads of interesting small towns. We stayed in Sugarcreek, again an Amish area with an unusual claim to fame!

Regarding stage 5, we toured this area a couple of years ago when over there for the total eclipse. We were surprised at the beautiful countryside, particularly in Pennsylvania which we had expected to be more industrial.
Interesting Amish areas around Lancaster with excellent food at their markets.
We enjoyed the tour at Indianapolis Motor Speedway
If you have any interest in aviation, possibly the best aviation museum in the world at Dayton which includes the amazing Valkyrie
Frank Lloyd Wright‘s Fallingwater is well worth visiting, but book well ahead.
There are loads of other things to do and see in the area, such as preserved railways and loads of interesting small towns. We stayed in Sugarcreek, again an Amish area with an unusual claim to fame!
Thanks Bill That is great,
As you suggest once there a lot to enjoy.
Your specifics are great. Yes I had noted the Amish influence but not found Sugar Creek which we will visit.
The other places are also pretty much on our "Route". Small towns, markets etc all good

Don’t know if you are aware of this but there is a similar scheme in the USA and Canada to France Passion, it’s called harvesthosts.com maybe of interest on your forthcoming trip.

Don’t know if you are aware of this but there is a similar scheme in the USA and Canada to France Passion, it’s called harvesthosts.com maybe of interest on your forthcoming trip.
Thanks,
Yes I have the link and made an inquiry
The are bombarding me with emails
Not too many sites on our route So not paidup just yet but maybe

Just skimmed through the details of your trip and not to put a damper on them but I haven't seen any reference to Health Insurance. America and Canada to a lesser extent are incredibly expensive for any pre-existing conditions, which my wife has. I recently had a quote for over £2,000 for a 10 day trip, when I was planning to fly to Calgary via Dallas from LHR. Couldn't contemplate the costs over 6 months!

Reply to GeordieBoy post#36

Thanks, yes
I have on-going Health & travel insurance with Lloyds bank (AXA).
The standard cover is 1 months but I have 6 months cover so a single trip of 5.9 Months is covered. ( they are very fair in that they cover for 186 days )
I pay significantly extra for the 6 months (for both of us) but only £950 or so.
I also checked that Canada/USA were OK expecting to have to pay more (as you point out) but no..All is Well.
I have 2 minor pre-existing conditions but they are properly notified thus covered.

I have also had to take out Canada / USA motorhome cover circa £750 for 6 months
Hence my not scrimping on battery/heating option April and September can be cold
The cost of it willl be recouped by lots of Boondocking or Freedom Camping or Wildcamping or Drycamping (Camp but no toilets/water)

So the part 1 Cash hits are done
£1800 flights and Hotel (Last October)
and now £800 Motor insurance
I do not include the travel insurance as we pay that every year
Minor hit to come 2x Batteries but that is a long term investment.
Part 2 Hit Seabridge out (less than £3000) will be in April
Part 3 Hit Seabridge again in September....£3000
All the tyres are good so just full service and MOT due next
Weekly expenses whilst were are "over the pond" should be much the same as here
Fuel a lot cheaper (but more mileage so a bit lees only) Food more expensive. Camping OK. Just the touristy things to add on !
We shall see

Just skimmed through the details of your trip and not to put a damper on them but I haven't seen any reference to Health Insurance. America and Canada to a lesser extent are incredibly expensive for any pre-existing conditions, which my wife has. I recently had a quote for over £2,000 for a 10 day trip, when I was planning to fly to Calgary via Dallas from LHR. Couldn't contemplate the costs over 6 months!

Definitely worth a look at Allclear as they may well be able to offer something much cheaper. At one time I could not generally obtain cover at any price, but Allclear found cover for me.

So the part 1 Cash hits are done
£1800 flights and Hotel (Last October)
and now £800 Motor insurance
I do not include the travel insurance as we pay that every year
Minor hit to come 2x Batteries but that is a long term investment.
Part 2 Hit Seabridge out (less than £3000) will be in April
Part 3 Hit Seabridge again in September....£3000
All the tyres are good so just full service and MOT due next
Weekly expenses whilst were are "over the pond" should be much the same as here
Fuel a lot cheaper (but more mileage so a bit lees only) Food more expensive. Camping OK. Just the touristy things to add on !
We shall see

Your mention of fuel reminds me there’s a trap to be wary of in USA. The black filler handles are petrol and green for diesel, very easy for someone from UK to get mixed up and misfuel!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back