USA & Canada but really Canada/USA

Latest info

Mobile phone plans with data are more than in UK
Bell seem to be the best option - any other ideas ?
Loads of wi-fi available (I think) but some data on phone is handy.

Not read all this thread but if you are hiring a MH the mileage that is added on is around the $0.35 per km which certainly mounts up on a long distance trip. We have just booked with Canadream and bought a package of 4x 800km, the 800km package was discounted by 50%, this was by far the most generous discount as most other companies were offering just 5%.

As you say..Not read enough
We are shipping ours from Liverppol to Halifax NS
Look here

Looks a great trip and well worth shipping your MH over for that length of time.
We are starting Vancouver, up to Yukon and down through the Rocky's and throwing an Alaskan cruise into the mix. Our mileage will be a max of 3000km in one of these https://www.canadream.com/rv-rental/deluxe-van-camper/ which we have for just over 5 weeks.
5 day Alaskan cruise.
8 days with friends on Vancouver Island.

Happy travels to you.

Looks a great trip and well worth shipping your MH over for that length of time.
We are starting Vancouver, up to Yukon and down through the Rocky's and throwing an Alaskan cruise into the mix. Our mileage will be a max of 3000km in one of these https://www.canadream.com/rv-rental/deluxe-van-camper/ which we have for just over 5 weeks.
5 day Alaskan cruise.
8 days with friends on Vancouver Island.

Happy travels to you.
Thanks and to you
Looks a nice camper !
We are lucky in that our commitments enable such a long trip and the "extra cost" is only (ha! ha!) about £9000 and we have been saving for something like this for a few years !

Don’t know if you have come across this Phil, but watching a video I came across an app called “Ioverlander”. Might be worth a peruse for you forthcoming adventure.

Don’t know if you have come across this Phil, but watching a video I came across an app called “Ioverlander”. Might be worth a peruse for you forthcoming adventure.
Thanks Eric, Yes Tony Lee pointed it out.
I have all the POI's downloaded on my Tablet for Maps.me which will be my SatNav. (Canada & USA)
I visit the web-site most days to check for all the obvious needs and mentally filter out places that do not seem good

Our Vehicle was collected from storage yesterday for its annual MOT/Service.
Following the link in the "Traveller problem thread"...
I got this
1580811442403.png

So obviously MOT OK.
Not had the email with the bill yet.
But almost the last hurdle

A new pair of batteries in 2.5 weeks time being the last hurdle !
Yippee !

Our EE plan worked well in USA. At the time it was 12gb free whilst abroad. Downloaded Google maps as required for off line GPS.

Thanks MoJo
Yes I have an EE card which I will checkout ..IT is PayG so maybe limited to 2 months . Maybe get a Three PayG for the extra month
That will be good for USA (3 months).
Canada ..."lucky" looks to be the deal and it maybe that it works well in USA

So £30 a month including USA
I have a booster wi-fi aerial for my laptop which I can then use as a hotspot for my phone and tablet

From what I have read a good deal of free Wi-fi available in both Canada and USA
Details
Unlimited Canada-Wide & US Calling Plan - 8GB - $50/mo

PLAN INCLUDES:
  • Unlimited Calls Canada-wide & to the US
  • Unlimited Canada-wide & International texts
  • 8GB Data at 3G speeds + 500 MB of bonus data every month with Automatic Top-Up
  • Unlimited additional data at reduced speeds of up to 128 Kbps for email, light browsing and messaging once you have exceeded your allotted 3G data.

Also included: Unlimited Incoming Calls & Texts from Canadian, US & International numbers, call display, voicemail, call waiting and 3-way calling.
Set up Automatic Top-Up and get 500 MB of bonus data every month.
If you want to use more 3G data, you can add a monthly Data Add-On.
Visit luckymobile.ca/dataaddons for more details.

Two Questions re UK
1) Insurance...I will ask comfort but has anyone "suspended their insurance" for say 5 months

2) UK road tax.. Can I SORN whilst in Canada/USA?

Neither vital but maybe can save a few pennies (£300 total)

I did neither but in retrospect I should have let the insurance know. I had to explain on our return why the milage limit was massively over by 12,000 miles 😁

I did neither but in retrospect I should have let the insurance know. I had to explain on our return why the milage limit was massively over by 12,000 miles 😁
Thanks,
Yes to let insurance know as you post. Mileage not a problem as that is covered by THUM so should have no impact on UK insurers also marine insurance to cover shipping.

UGH !
Given the latest on the virus in UK..
I think we will not go to Canada...Nothing decided yet.

But what if we Ship MoHo as planned late March to Arrive 8th April
We fly on 5th April but either
1 The flights are cancelled and so Moho has to be returned to UK thus £6000 lost ! ( and mega inconvenience )
2 Canada might put us in quarantine for 2 weeks
3 Canada wants to deep clean the MoHo

Also Propane in Canada is not reliable because of their politics/strikes

No decisions yet BUT ????

Flights and Hotels might be held over for 1 year ?
I would lose 30 % of tha MoHo road insurance but...

However if Air Canads resticts flights etc then travel insurance would pay
Wait Wait Wait !!!!

Sorry to hear this after all your planning but hope that something still works out for you. We plan to fly to San Diego next week for a month in the desert, just hoping nothing changes for the worse this week.

Thanks, Bill
Hope your trip goes ahead.
There are just too many imponderables for us at the moment.
But considering a few "What if's"
Wait and see mode. We might even have a "self-quarantine" issue when we fly in to LHR from Thailand in 2 weeks time.
But relatively trivial compared with all the victims of flooding.
Not keen to go ahead if we lose 1 months "motorhome travel time"
Given the spread of the virus in other countries Uk could be in a situation similar to Northern Italy in 3 weeks time
This is when MoHo is due to leave Liverpool

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back