Very nice Bus

Wully

Stopped in at Girvan on my way home this afternoon for the fish and chips and this lovely old girl parked up next to me stunning was an understatement the photos don’t really do it justice 1960 Bristol with a gardener 180 sounded and looked like it was brand new the driver a young German lady and her daughter along with there husky dog are touring Scotland and Ireland what a life.B62E2128-C84E-414B-B1C7-0C21328A2A2E.jpegBA975B81-87CF-4CA8-B91B-7F60979D4C88.jpeg42C8592D-3CD5-45CD-A1EA-204E3498D660.png

Must’ve just missed you wully I eft grants distillery around 13*00 or there about the day couldn’t see ailsa Craig rock for the low cloud

Stopped in at Girvan on my way home this afternoon for the fish and chips and this lovely old girl parked up next to me stunning was an understatement the photos don’t really do it justice 1960 Bristol with a gardener 180 sounded and looked like it was brand new the driver a young German lady and her daughter along with there husky dog are touring Scotland and Ireland what a life.View attachment 48916View attachment 48917View attachment 48918
We saw that today we were coming out of Girvan and I said to Malcolm I wouldn’t mind a look in it also had a scooter on the back

What a superb bus.............. but geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees what fuel consumption are they likely to be getting, if it is better than 15 mpg. I would be very surprised?

I Know what you mean about fuel but it sounded brilliant. Looks like it already was an open top bus before the conversion to a motorhome the top deck looked like the top of a lifeboat or some kind of boat with outside seating and a log burner.

I would very much doubt that 15 mpg is achievable but a refurbed Gardner will run for ever - and such a smooth power delivery.

Last edited:
When I was a boy my grandfather had a a commercial engine export business he used to scrap loads of these old buses even at the age of 10 I knew the different engines by the tone. Most of the engines went to the Far East to be used as generators in hospitals and the like back axils gearboxes were sent to India Bedford engines went to Thailand to be used in boats Volvo engines and gearboxes for boats in the Caribbean ahhhhh the smell of oil and diesel. Think I slept with an old oily rag in my pillow as a comforter. Now I can’t be bothered changing a wheel

Ref the fuel consumption thing, can you run these old engines on veg oil? If so, Filter WVO and who cares about the fuel consumption? :p

Lovely bus as well :D

I used to drive the Bristol when I first started driving buses, we didn't have many with gardeners, mostly Bristol engines, but we could certainly get them rattling along the trunk road from Middlesbrough to Redcar, what fun we had trying to stop them if the lights changed on us. I did enjoy my time driving them!

I expect they'd be fine on veg oil - you'd need to own a chain of chip shops to run this tho!

Twenty years ago I had a friend who converted a single decker bus to a motorhome, uphill down dale the best he got was 6 mpg!
? ? :)

I expect they'd be fine on veg oil - you'd need to own a chain of chip shops to run this tho!
Chip Shops pay to dispose of their waste oil! and even if you bought fresh SVO, it would still be a big saving. I ran my VW T4 on Rapeseed Oil from bookers - 80p/litre instead of £1.30/litre and no difference in economy.

I too dabbled with veg oil from supermarket in and old Lucas i ejected Citroen car, but that got nearly the same as diesel so I gave it up.
Would put anywhere near any of the more modern systems tho.
Waste oil needs quite a bit of treatment before reuse in an engine - but MacDonalds say they do it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back