Waeco compressor fridge problem.

Pedalman

I have a Waeco compressor fridge that won't switch off, well It does switch off for about half a second when it reaches the set temperature but it immediately switches back on again and it keeps switching off and on continuously. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and if it can be fixed ?
Thanks .

Last edited:
Could be thermistor (thermostat) they have a bit of history of problems with thermistors , try googling for fix :) HTSH

I fitted a cr 50 waeco it in my selfbuild about 4 years ago run with no problems until last year switching on and off all the time
I fitted new thicker cable and a mains adapter problem gone
Hope that may help good luck

Forrensbroons , the fridge was bought 2010 but has had well below average use.

Thanks everyone, I'm not sure what to try first as it looks like it could be a process of elimination.

I had a similar problem on my Waeco mdc50. Below the "freezer compartment there is a tray that slides in and out and catches the water when fridge defrosts. Its easy when pushing this tray in to dislodge the temperature sensor that is clipped to the freezer unit moving it away. Ensuring that the sensor is snug against the freezer unit cured the problem for me. Dont know if thst helps you or if your fridge is different but may be worth checking?

I have a Waeco compressor fridge that won't switch off, well It does switch off for about half a second when it reaches the set temperature but it immediately switches back on again and it keeps switching off and on continuously. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and if it can be fixed ?
Thanks .
We had the same problem and it was because the battery was was running low.. we had a second battery fitted and a solar panel and it’s been fine since... inside the fridge there is a red light that slow flashes to tell you the fault

We had the same problem and it was because the battery was was running low.. we had a second battery fitted and a solar panel and it’s been fine since... inside the fridge there is a red light that slow flashes to tell you the fault
Thanks for your reply. Ive had a look and the leisure battery is showing 12.9v and the green light in the interior of the fridge is on. I'm beginning to think it must be the thermostat but its a CR50 and I need to do some research to find out where it is and if it is replaceable.
I am told there is a circuit that switches the fridge off if the voltage drops below a certain level.
I am thinking about fitting a solar panel but unsure as what to buy, what set up did you install ?

If there is a fault, it’s a very small red light, difficult to spot unless Yr looking..
we had a 120 fitted and another gel battery by Neil Hempson.. great guy..

I will poke my head into the fridge tomorrow and have a closer look for a red light .
I was hoping you were going to say you fitted your solar kit yourself and you could have told me the manufacturer of the panel and the controller. I want to fit it myself and I am looking for recommendations that people are happy with.
I just have a small camper van so it isn't as difficult as fitting into a proper motorhome.

I got 2x150W panels from Alpha Battery’s, 3x90ah Bosch battery’s from them as well then sourced a Votronic MPPT controller on Amazon. You will also need a cable gland box ideally to seal where cables enter van and whatever mounting hardware you prefer.
That runs my Waeco 110litre fridge and everything else okay if we get sun

I got 2x150W panels from Alpha Battery’s, 3x90ah Bosch battery’s from them as well then sourced a Votronic MPPT controller on Amazon. You will also need a cable gland box ideally to seal where cables enter van and whatever mounting hardware you prefer.
Thanks for the info and pointing me in the Alpha direction. I have had a look on the Alpha website and I think the 200w panel with the mppt controller will be spot on for my requirements, I only have the fridge a couple of lights and and very occasionally a TV so I just need something to keep the battery in good condition.

I would go for the highest output panel(S) you can fit in the space, extra will prolong useful harvesting so you manage better when weather isn’t so good. My 110litre fridge uses approx 45amps per day on its own. i would be looking around 200ah for my battery bank if I was you. Again more is better if you have space ?

Thanks for the info and pointing me in the Alpha direction. I have had a look on the Alpha website and I think the 200w panel with the mppt controller will be spot on for my requirements, I only have the fridge a couple of lights and and very occasionally a TV so I just need something to keep the battery in good condition.
Don't forget we get a discount from Alpha

I would go for the highest output panel(S) you can fit in the space, extra will prolong useful harvesting so you manage better when weather isn’t so good. My 110litre fridge uses approx 45amps per day on its own. i would be looking around 200ah for my battery bank if I was you. Again more is better if you have space ?
I just have a VW T4 camper van, and at the moment have one 110ah battery and a basic split charger circuit. I don't understand how the electrics work at all or how much power I need for a small 50litre Waeco compressor fridge ,two 5w LED lights and a small Avtex TV.
At the moment my battery system seems to coping and sits around 12.4v and 90% after running the fridge for a couple of days and driving about.
I check it every week and put it on a smart charger to top it up.
I haven't got the knowledge to know what would be a good size solar panel I would need, I have roof space of 2.5m length x 1.2m width and any advice would be appreciated, I would also consider getting a second battery or even one big one ..........I just need a bit of advice.

PS when I ask suppliers for advice they all point me to their website tables and tell me to work it out for myself .......it's as if they are not confident to give advice so I end up not doing anything.

Are your two panels the semi flexible ones or the much heavier ones under the glass ? From what I can gather from your setup, panel(s) that gives me 300w is good if the sun don't shine.
Edit , I see that the panels from alpha are the glass covered ones (3cm / 4cm thick ) which I understand are better in the long term.
They seem to be out of stock of the 150w panels at the moment.

Last edited:
My panels are the rigid (under glass) type. Suppliers don’t like to state what you need so you can’t go back to them if it’s wrong. Power is very much specific to you though, and everyone is different. if you are driving around in the van you are charging the battery anyway.

If this is the fridge you are looking at 50 litre fridge it says it uses 1.4ah at 25 degrees ambient. Multiply that by 24 hours and I would work on it using 33.6 amps per day.

as you are okay at present i would start by adding a second battery then seeing if you need to add solar or not. It will all depend how long you are away, if you start off with battery’s fully charged (24+ hours on hook up) then topping up driving around you may last out. two battery’s are better than one big battery (lithium may be the exception) as they will recharge quicker and the discharge is split between them.

it all depends if it suits you to make a change then evaluate or if you need to be certain you have it done in one go.

Just to add, initially I fitted a single 150W panel then added the second when I found I needed it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back