Wardrobe light

gasgas

Following my discovery of one of the reasons the last owner (of four previous owners in three years) got rid of my camper: This is the remains of the wardrobe light. This is how the camper was when I bought it. I must say that Lowe and Rhodes, the Stoke on Trent dealer I bought it from was very gracious and agreed to pay the £880 that AutoSleeper wanted to replace the panel. It's only inside the wardrobe so it can't be seen unless you lean over backwards at a back breaking angle and look upwards. I didn't think it was that essential, and not worth £880 just to have a new panel. So I decided of course to fit a new light, preferably a less flammable one.

1706091729277.jpeg

Clearly something had to be done.

I got a new LED strip light from Temu for nuthingpencehalfpenny. It's called a 300mm LED long sense light. It has a PIR and comes on not when you open the wardrobe door, but when you reach inside. So if the door is not quite closed for some reason, the light will not come on.IMGP6234.JPGIMGP6235.JPGIMGP6236.JPGAt one end of the light there is a tiny switch - you can switch the whole thing off, have it on auto so it comes on when you reach inside for something, or have it on all the time. I made some small labels to remind me, but in reality it will just stay on auto. It runs off a USB socket. How I achieved that was to dismantle a cigarette lighter USB plug and wire the innards directly to the camper's wardrobe light power supply and then plug the light into the USB output. I checked that when the main control panel for the camper is 'off', there is no volts at the supply so it won't be draining any current when the camper is not in use.

I would be careful with that new light at first. I have bought cheap LED lights from China which got very hot when the voltage is nearer 14 volts than 12 volts. If they are not purpose made to run off batteries they will only work properly on a metered 12 volt supply. I had to add voltage regulators to use my lighting.

The light will be on very little and may be fine but if I were you I would illuminate it and see how warm it gets.

Yes I'll keep an eye on it. But remember, it actually runs off its internal rechargeable battery which is charged by a 5v USB supply. One might think that the biggest risk is from the battery catching fire.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back