• Hello, If you are looking for the YouTuber Special Camp - Gregg Virgoe Meetup please CLICK HERE

What did you do to your van today?

daygoboy

Free Member

Found this “
Red oxide, also called red lead, reacts with iron and iron oxides to form insoluble compounds called plumbates, in which lead is part of the anion, (PbO?)?². For instance, ferrous plumbate has the formula Fe(PbO?), in which the cation is Fe?².
Halfords must have a red oxide using different materials.
A lot of people do refer to Red Oxide as Red Lead because it was the default safe substitute.
Not just Halfords, Rustoleum, Screwfix, Hammerite, all produce Red Oxide and they all
state their paint as lead free. Somehow I can't imagine they would take the risk of
telling porkies on this issue, could you? I hope not, at least since 1992 anyway!

Wavy Gravy

Free Member

Fitted a Dometic 7350 roof vent this morning. Simplicity itself to fit, so went far quicker than I had expected.

grath

At Gale. Got up on roof and cleaned the sand and bird dung off

GreggBear

Made some slats to convert the table area to a single berth ready to take boy to an Autograss meet at York today.

trevskoda

You're thinking of Red LEAD paint Trev. the man is using Red OXIDE paint, which you
can get even in Halfords, a benign paint as far as paints go regarding H&S.
True but its cr-p,2 pack zink rich epoxy every time,remember i was in the anti corrosive biz.

daygoboy

Free Member

True but its cr-p,2 pack zink rich epoxy every time,remember i was in the anti corrosive biz.
There's a highly paid vacancy waiting for you Trev. send your application to Mercedes Benz,
Stuttgart, Germany, mark it, FAO The Planned Obsolescence Fuehrer(y)

2cv

I got mine back with new electric elements in the Truma 4e combi boiler. Don’t know how Truma could justify £300 for what are basically a couple of large kettle elements but they do a good job so c’est la vie.
Gave it a good wash as it was the first opportunity since we left for the Isle of Man.
All set to load up for the Kelso meet and the Bentleys agm meet in Derbyshire.

Phil the Bin

Free Member

We have a tow bar fitted to our van. It was on there when we bought it. The dealer said that even if you don’t use it it is great protection incase of a rear end shunt as most vans are GRP at the back and saves a lot of damage and expensive repairs! So we left ours on.

Lee

We had an autumnal day in Edinburgh in it, cooked lamb hot pot for dinner and chilled out.

trevskoda

Got last bits and bobs sorted in van and ask mot center for a closer mot date,feck got one tomorrow at ten to three,so out tonight going over all the lights and horn,no advisories here,one fault and its a resit. :unsure:

daygoboy

Free Member

We have a tow bar fitted to our van. It was on there when we bought it. The dealer said that even if you don’t use it it is great protection incase of a rear end shunt as most vans are GRP at the back and saves a lot of damage and expensive repairs! So we left ours on.
A purpose designed crumple zone might result in less expensive or extensive damage.
This applies particularly to modern cars of course designed as an entity. A coach built
M/Home might well have just a fresh air void enclosed by a GRP moulding, so your tow
bar could be useful, hope you never actually find that out for a fact!

Vanterrier

Cleaned up throttle body - see Yellow Light thread - and washed van after our France trip. Ready for an MOT now.
K ;)

wildebus