UPDATE: What size aluminium to use?

I think I would have beefed the aluminium up where I drilled the hole. By drilling the hole you have reduced the load carrying capacity by 1/3 . If the hole is bigger than 1/2 the width then it gets worse. When bending tube the bottom tries to stretch and the top tries to contract. The sides just keep the two faces apart. Drilling a hole introduces a weakness in the bottom surface that can crack under load. You can drill as many holes in the sides as you like it just for a lattice work and is just as strong.

A better idea in my opinion would have been a couple of channels bolted together with spaces holding them apart.

] [ you could then have passed your bolt through the middle with a large square washer on top. The only holes to drill would have been in the web part which would have no effect on the strength.

Have used the same principle when extending houses and knocking holes through walls. It is very effective and also makes it far easier to lift as you are only lifting half the weight.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back