What tyres .

Ooh that 404 was well made. And as the photo shows so were the 504s. Their drive system was unusual. Rear wheel drive with a solid axle but it had vertical springs so the 'push forward' force had to go somewhere. They did that by fixing two thick steel members from the hub ends of the axle to a point right by the gearbox in between the two front seats. So the pushing force was actually from the centre of the car - like neither front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. I've never seen that on any other car.

The 225/75R16 is something special
In US they have LT ( for lighttruck in front of size given) 115 loadindex AT 80 psi is called E-load ( Eur 10 plyrated)

Europe has C for comercial, and I found 3 kinds,

C 8PR(D-load) LI 116 AT 69 psi/4.75 bar
C 10 pr/E-load LI 118 AT 5.25 bar/ 77 psi
C 10PR/ E-load LI 121 AT 5.75 bar/ 83 psi.
And mayby also a 6PR/C-load available AT 55 psi.

To laws of nature maxload and AT pressure (called referencepressure) should be in line.

So the LT 115 AT 80 psi, is given verry carefull low maxload.
The 118 C maxload higher at lower pressure.

Rara.

The 118 and 121 are often chosen in allseason with the mountainpeaks-symbol, so you are covered in some countrys as wintertyre.

The 115 loadindex AT what reference-pressure they give on sidewall?

I think 80 psi/5.5 bar/550 kPa.

Then assuming they determined maxload to laws of nature (see my post #22 about that). Then you can drive with 1215 kg/ 2680 lbs on tire and 80 psi in tire, 160kmph/99mph constant speed ( rediculus in practice) without overheating any part of tire-material.

I can make you a cold pressure/axloadcapacity-list with build in maximum reserve, at wich comfort and gripp is still acceptable.

For that I give 90% of calculated axleloadcapacity, calculated with an even tighter calculation then the official european from ETRTO, close to lineair calculation.

Then your task is to determine the axleloads in your use 99% acurate, the most tricky part, and your responcibility.

Even same model can have different axleloads in use, so if one uses 70 psi comfortable, it does not mean that you are safe and comfortable too with 70 psi.

Back