Who uses Floe ?

paulhelenwilko

Just wondered what views and experiences people have of using the flow drain down kit.

I always thought we were very careful about draining down, however had to replace the bathroom mixer earlier this year, the failure was probably caused by frost. The cost of the hymer part would easily cover the price of floe.

Paul

The same thing happened to me 2 years ago, mostly because I forgot to drain down properly.

What I have always done with the bathroom mixer tap is to remove the shower head, make sure there is no 'loop' in the hose and then blow down the hose. First time with the lever in the open position on 'cold' and then again on the 'hot' setting. Then I leave the tap open on the mid position.

Below is a copy of a post I made on another forum in 2011. Someone more or less accused me of copying Floe's idea ! However I was doing this as a draindown method most likely before the owner of Floe was born, so actually he may have copied me ! regardless, as far as I'm concerned the system works well for the cost of a stop valve, a tee piece, and a car tyre valve soldered into a bit of brass bar. I hope the idea may make life easier for anyone reading this.

"In my experience of Sureflo and Flojet pumps (and most others) air/water may pass from inlet to outlet when the the pump is not running but not from outlet to inlet. However air/water will flow easier (inlet to outlet) when the pump is running.

I think this is important to consider if you, as I do, want to use air pressure to evacuate water from the pump and pipework to prevent freezing during the winter/lay up.

I have fitted a tee piece adjacent to the pump in the inlet pipe with a stop valve behind it on the tank side. In the tee is a car tyre valve. To drain and evacuate the water from the pump and pipework I shut the stop valve, open all the taps in van, switch on the pump then pressurise the valve with compressed air to blow all the water out of the pump and system. It works a treat.

Don't forget to drain the water heater and empty the tank, and of course open the stop valve at the start of next season"

water draindown.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back