Wind turbines

Mr and Mrs Tupcox

Any one use one these to top batts up on them cloudy windy winter days been looking at them and thinking do we need another toy for the van.

It's a subject that crops up regularly... And one I, looked into in some depth a while back.

Difficult to mount effectively on a Moho to stop vibration/noise being transmitted

Noisy when working hard (both for you AND anyone nearby)

Expensive per amp

Dont harvest much power UNLESS in a sustained high wind state

Pain to store effectively

There's a reason they tend to be on exposed hill tops OR boats moored on the coast.

I gave up on the idea and stuck with solar

From looking at the specs of Wind Turbines, to get an output worthwhile you would need to park up in a place you really would not want to be! exposed to high wind getting buffeted around.
(I thought it could be a nice idea as well in the past, especially in the less sunny months, but the downsides are too high IMO)

It's a subject that crops up regularly... And one I, looked into in some depth a while back.

Difficult to mount effectively on a Moho to stop vibration/noise being transmitted

Noisy when working hard (both for you AND anyone nearby)

Expensive per amp

Dont harvest much power UNLESS in a sustained high wind state

Pain to store effectively

There's a reason they tend to be on exposed hill tops OR boats moored on the coast.

I gave up on the idea and stuck with solar
depends on what you want mine makes very little noise, well i cant hear it.

You would require a large one to get 2/4 amps hr ,and yes very noisy and a constant highish wind required,silent gen would be better by miles.

If it was quiet enough, I'd be perfectly happy with an output of 1A. That would be 24Ah per day*.
That's about the average output of a 100 watt solar panel.

*Assuming that the wind blows all the time, which is maybe a bit optimistic

If it was quiet enough, I'd be perfectly happy with an output of 1A. That would be 24Ah per day*.
That's about the average output of a 100 watt solar panel.

*Assuming that the wind blows all the time, which is maybe a bit optimistic
Mine turns most of the time what with passing traffic and living on a hilly slope.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back