Wine making

Had a call from AIB insurance, my MH insurance due, I won't be getting Euro Cover this year. We have Cockatiels that travel with us now and I think my taste buds prefer my wine to the French wine that we have previously brought back with us. The 'B' is another thing against it.

Have brewed beer in the past from kits and bottled them when fermented always good results but time consuming the kits you can buy now in a bag taste good and easy to use

When I lived in France a near neighbour was a commercial maker of white and red wine and cognac and there were lots more within a few miles. Getting theirs was easier than making my own.

Dave makes a lot of woodfords beer from kits. Nog is the best but Wherry is quite good. Definitely come a long way since the 70's...horrible stuff! Faversham brewery supplies in Kent was the best place to go to get hold and extras for brewing, but sadly not local to us now.

Ha! Liking the look of that equipment Trevskoda - just don't release your address......

Happy to say that I've cracked this wine-making lark. It was the HomeBrew Forum that re-awakened my interest with their dead simple Supermarket pure fruit juice recipes. Have now moved on from that.

Core each year is to harvest Elderflower from hedgerows in late June and Elderberries in late September (don't make the mistake of going to the same bushes.....). My new found confidence allows me to make 20L at a time. Starts of in a bucket; after a week it moves to a fermentation vessel; and then when all is quiet, it gets the fermentation stopped dead and after another week it gets stored in demijohns. So, the house is full of DJs, and when we run out of house wine I bring out a couple, transfer them to 12 bottles and refill the wine rack.

So as not to get bored, my second favourite is to make wine from frozen fruit together with my secret ingredient (DRYCK from IKEA).

Happy is he who has a constantly supplied wine cellar.......

MM7PCO_HomeBrewForum.jpg

We make wind from kits, beer from kits and mead from our honey.

Wine boxes have transformed the business for us.

We make several, we collect the berries out in the countryside away from roads etc.,

Bernie
Hi,
We do the same and collect all manner of berries from the countryside. As well as that we have fruit trees in our garden and turn surplus into wine. So far we have made Plum, Apple, Crab apple, Pear and Damson wine from our own trees and sloe and elderberry from country lanes. Presently we have about 100 bottles stored and ready. My favourite is elderberry. We often take a bottle or two or.... camping with us. Happy fermenting..!

Rhubarb and ginger must make some more this year I don't think I did any last year will have to go check on it.

Hi, Dried elderberries 450g £4.99 on eBay make a good substitute for grapes. You can add 500g of dried raisins for a strong tasting wine, £1.25 from Aldi. 1kg of sugar 50p @ B&M
Anna1976

Hi, Dried elderberries 450g £4.99 on eBay make a good substitute for grapes. You can add 500g of dried raisins for a strong tasting wine, £1.25 from Aldi. 1kg of sugar 50p @ B&M
Anna1976

Oh this sounds to easy, you have missed all the enjoyment of scrambling through the stinging nettles, getting caught on the barbed wire fence, being chased by the Bull and told off by the other half for being out foraging till dusk and not having her tea ready.:D

Rhubarb and ginger must make some more this year I don't think I did any last year will have to go check on it.
R & G, very good, my 1st attempt at this last year, will be doing more this year, have more Rhubarb plants. I make a ginger wine then reuse the ginger in the R & G.

In times gone by beer mash was used 3 times to make different strengths beers, the last being an all day beer. ;)

Hi,
We do the same and collect all manner of berries from the countryside. As well as that we have fruit trees in our garden and turn surplus into wine. So far we have made Plum, Apple, Crab apple, Pear and Damson wine from our own trees and sloe and elderberry from country lanes. Presently we have about 100 bottles stored and ready. My favourite is elderberry. We often take a bottle or two or.... camping with us. Happy fermenting..!
or three or four or...…..

Anyone made a nice single malt .lost the taste for wine years ago
Not yet, lol. :D But it's good to wash your mouth out with it, before sucking on transfer pipes, best to swallow not to spit it out though. ;);):devilish:

Last edited:
Vintappning fixad-01.jpeg
In the mid-90s we were a group that imported 1000 kg of grapes ( Montepulciano) from Italy. We were active for 5-6 years and had equipped ourselves with machines for separating grapes and grape branches. The machine also crushed the grapes. then we had a pressure. The grape juice was poured into a 200 liter barrel with a tube on top, the tube was filled with an inch of cooking oil on top. We got about a bottle / kg of grapes.
The picture is from the day of bottling

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back