Winter (bad starting)

The laird

Rally Organiser

We’re away in van last weekend and on the way into moffat we stopped at the coop ,when we went to start up the battery didn’t sound good and panel lights went nuts ,tried again no probs ,we were on ehu all weekend Sunday departure no probs
Tuesday night I was fluffing about in van not been on hook up so thought I’d fire it up starter solenoid was rattling like a machine gun they it suddenly threw the engine over and fired up ! So done a drop test on it yesterday and it’s got a faulty cell I fink .now once i checked the battery and I’m not sure but it’s pointing to possibly the original battery ?
so I got a new battery today 80 amp 790 crank
started it up tonight and it’s flying the engine over now
meant to say it was lazy a few weeks back in the extreme cold snap
the battery is a ford labelled one with test stickers from years ago so it looks like it’s been a good servant 40 odd k on speedo
the new battery from our factor s 4year guarantee best quality stocked £137 plus vodka and tonic but because I get our work discount it came in at £71*60 plus vat
so I got a service kit and ordered new pads and discs all round for the summer trips
always have believed in preventative maintenance ( pads and discs still in serviceable condition
im away to lay my head on a pillow spending this much ( oh by the way I’m Scottish as oppy is always reminding me😀) don’t you pedro

Hope the new battery cures your problem. After 12mths of starting issues I recently had a new starter fitted to my OH's Peugeot Expert van. Starts lovely now & confidence is restored!.....

We’re away in van last weekend and on the way into moffat we stopped at the coop ,when we went to start up the battery didn’t sound good and panel lights went nuts ,tried again no probs ,we were on ehu all weekend Sunday departure no probs
Tuesday night I was fluffing about in van not been on hook up so thought I’d fire it up starter solenoid was rattling like a machine gun they it suddenly threw the engine over and fired up ! So done a drop test on it yesterday and it’s got a faulty cell I fink .now once i checked the battery and I’m not sure but it’s pointing to possibly the original battery ?
the battery is a ford labelled one with test stickers from years ago so it looks like it’s been a good servant 40 odd k on speedo
the new battery from our factor s 4year guarantee best quality stocked £137 plus vodka and tonic but because I get our work discount it came in at £71*60 plus vat
so I got a service kit and ordered new pads and discs all round for the summer trips
always have believed in preventative maintenance ( pads and discs still in serviceable condition
im away to lay my head on a pillow spending this much ( oh by the way I’m Scottish as oppy is always reminding me😀) don’t you pedro
I am on a FB Transit Mk6 & 7 page and bad earths come up from time to time as reasons for poor starting, but as you have identified the battery as the probable cause then it’s not likely to be the culprit this time.

Steady up Gordon, you will be getting us a bad reputation spending money, great price for your battery , now calm down and stand in the corner

Gordon I’ve always ran transits for work cheap and easy to repair and buy parts for if you know the right people I’ve had a few same model and year as yours and one common fault that causes problems is the pickup for the immobiliser it goes without warning and gives a whole lot of trouble it’s not easy to diagnose and masks it’s self as other faults costs about £20 to replace and I highly recommend you replace it. Not teaching my granny to suck eggs but it’s the disk round the steering lock takes about ten minutes to change I’ve had the same thing go at some point on every one I’ve owned and recon that’s about 6.👍

remember your kilt dont make a balls of it, p.s. happy new year, hope to see you both soon. ok. pj.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back