Yes a Toilet thread (Cassette required)

jagmanx

We have a Thetford c-200 or C-200CS V cassette tank.
The yellow knob and inbuilt mechanism which operates the trapdoor has become unreliable.
Fortunately it sticks closed when in place So the cassette can be removed and so far a bit of jiggling has resolved the problem
When out I usually check the mechanism and sometimes it sticks open thus not allowing the cassette to be re-inserted.
Again jiggling/juggling has worked so far !
I have seen the refurbishment videos and simply not the deal as far as we are concerned mainly because my hands are too big !
So a simple replacement is in order..
The cassette is 13 years old and we use the MoHo for a full 5or6 months every year for the past 6 years
So I am happy to invest in a new cassette foe reliability

Where can I buy one ? either new or nearly new
I am sure the poo experts can help !

We have a Thetford c-200 or C-200CS V cassette tank.
The yellow knob and inbuilt mechanism which operates the trapdoor has become unreliable.
Fortunately it sticks closed when in place So the cassette can be removed and so far a bit of jiggling has resolved the problem
When out I usually check the mechanism and sometimes it sticks open thus not allowing the cassette to be re-inserted.
Again jiggling/juggling has worked so far !
I have seen the refurbishment videos and simply not the deal as far as we are concerned mainly because my hands are too big !
So a simple replacement is in order..
The cassette is 13 years old and we use the MoHo for a full 5or6 months every year for the past 6 years
So I am happy to invest in a new cassette foe reliability

Where can I buy one ? either new or nearly new
I am sure the poo experts can help !
Leisure shop Direct sell a freshen up kit which includes a new cassette. Kit is actually cheaper than a separate cassette least it was the last time I looked

You can get to the innards much easier if you remove the main seal,
I have big mits, and have managed to remove every bit bar the anti vacuum
yellow button at top end which hasn't needed fixing.. Fiddly but doable. Of course they charge plenty
for replacement seals and parts. Some parts are sold only as a small assembly.
Have to do the sums to see if it's worth it to DIY.
But you can substitute, for instance I replaced the float level magnet with an ebay
neomydium nearest size for £2 instead of the Thetford magnet assembly @£12 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
talking of loos...does anyone know if the freshen up version with handle n wheels holds much less than the one without???

I just freed mine up recently and this is what I did:

I emptied and then rinsed out the cassette. I filled it about 1/3 full with clean water (warm if possible). Buy a bottle of cheap strong bleach and pour in enough to give a strong solution. Turn the cassette upside down and give it a gentle sloosh about then leave it (upside down) for 15 minutes. Turn it righht way up and operate the lever a few times, then turn it upside down again. Leave it for an hour, giving another shake and then give it a final shake and empty it. The lever should now be a bit more free (mine was).

I just freed mine up recently and this is what I did:

I emptied and then rinsed out the cassette. I filled it about 1/3 full with clean water (warm if possible). Buy a bottle of cheap strong bleach and pour in enough to give a strong solution. Turn the cassette upside down and give it a gentle sloosh about then leave it (upside down) for 15 minutes. Turn it righht way up and operate the lever a few times, then turn it upside down again. Leave it for an hour, giving another shake and then give it a final shake and empty it. The lever should now be a bit more free (mine was).

Or yer can just get yer mit in there and unclip the swivel plate, pull the yeller knob away
check the black syn. rubber seal and nylon seating washer and clean them all thoroughly.
If there's gunge in there and the seal is doing it's job you can't clean it with anything
in the tank if you see what I mean.
Due usually to a leak, I suspect a number of these cassettes get slung out for want of a
a humble seal needing renewing or even just a clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased a freshup kit, which includes a new seat and some liquids, one of which is a cassette cleaner.

First of all, after emptying and swilling it out, I added cassette cleaner and allowed it to soak really well for a nice long time. Then flushed it out.

Then it was time to undo the top, I found a good vid on YouTube, and carefully opened it up. Thankfully the cleaner stuff had done a good job and the insides were very clean. Clean enough for me to put my gloved hand inside and give it a proper clean.

Then I dismantled the lid mechanism and cleaned it all up, reassembling once it was done. I too have big hands but I had no problem getting in and working on it all.

Now I have a spare cassette which has proved to be useful on one occasion to date.

Check your actual cassette numbering and order a freshup kit suitable for your number. That way you will get an exact same copy unit.

Or yer can just get yer mit in there and unclip the swivel plate, pull the yeller knob away
check the black syn. rubber seal and nylon seating washer and clean them all thoroughly.
If there's gunge in there and the seal is doing it's job you can't clean it with anything
in the tank if you see what I mean.
Due usually to a leak, I suspect a number of these cassettes get slung out for want of a
a humble seal needing renewing or even just a clean.

Didn't need to as parts were renewed last year ... and I did put my hands in the cassette.

If you are wilding, or otherwise moving on daily, the top section of the cassette (where all the gubbins are) gets splashed with contents which solidifies in the fullness of time (a short time). The method I suggested is more about routine maintenance for wilders and the like.

Ok, Thanks to all.
Yes we full-time in the summer and move most days and have had lots of great hilly twisty roads eg Swiss passes.
So the sh1t could well have hit the fan or got where it should not. We keep it very clean but the "upside down soaking" routine should help....We shall see..
First job tomorrow (pun intended) to get some bleach.

Last edited:
We can wait but it has got wheels and a handle which we do not want/need
Unfortunately, that is all that Thetford now supply. Cassette capacity is reduced by approximately 0.5 litre as a consequence.

May get one as a reserve...

But the various posts re cleaning encourage me to do the "thorough upside down clean" and see what happens...Indeed if all is well our routine will include such a clean on a monthly basis.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back