“Rant”

Elder badger

Having a lot of experience including most of the other drivers, driving our campers around the uk. Now that we have a bit more freedom with the virus on the back foot, I have just come back from a week in the highlands & found an increasing number of incompetent camper/ Motorhome drivers who seem to have jumped out of the family car & off with the hired camper. Especially the guy I met on a single track road, who did not know about the use of passing places + could not use his mirrors to reverse, I must admit, it was a laugh to watch. When is the DVLA going to make it compulsory for drivers to have a certificate to show that they are capable of being in control of their vehicle. Also Camper/Motorhome hire company’s should also be held responsible as well. Rant over 🤬🤬

Unfortunately money is king and trumps both common sense and, as you've witnessed, road safety :(

It used to infuriate me watching some people trying to reverse a horse box when taking their little darlings to a pony club meeting. I hate having to many rules but I believe you should have a test for trailers before using one.

I wouldn’t say it’s the drivers as a majority has passed there test. Possibly the instructors and the actual test should be more envolved

Size of vehicle isnt a factor in many cases , they arent really up to the task of driving anything !

I have to agree with RV2MAX. There are so many drivers out there that really don't look any further than the bonnet.

Last edited:
as a provisional biker , i could ride a massively heavy Norton 600 single with a crude sidecar chassis , weighed down with concrete blocks, amongst the town traffic , with one or two passengers and no helmet, quite legally
immediately on passing my car test , i could drive whatever i wanted , as long as it wasn't for reward. including artics, double deckers ,a lorry with two showman's wagons and Reliant Robins- and tanks of course !

I don’t think it unreasonable for hire companies to give a bit of instruction on etiquette. It doesn’t stop anyone just buying something and driving though. If folks don’t have common sense and confidence in their abilities there will be problems. We also started somewhere though so a bit of patience is needed

Just be thankful that BMW don’t make a Motorhome

We had a narrow escape :)

bmw-isetta-300-mini-caravan-haus-dekorationen-bmw-isetta-300-mini-caravan-haus-dekorationen-64759.jpg

A couple or so years ago I went along the very (exceptionally in places) narrow road that goes from LLanbedr, Gwynedd up to the very small and amazingly tranquil Cwm Bychan Campsite from where you can take a short walk up to the Roman Steps.

As I said the road up to this is exceptionally narrow and not at all friendly with jagged dry stone/rock walls on either side, there are also one or two very steep bits just to throw in some more fun.

Well on the way back in the direction of Shell Island up came in the opposite direction 2 German woman in a nice narrow T4 VW and they kept on coming despite my LWB Renault Master blocking their path on what was for me quite a steep down hill part with several very tight bends immediately behind................... whereas in the opposite direction the two Frauleines had a nice straight flat(ish) road behind them and they had just driven straight past a nice passing place. So despite their protests I insisted they reversed.

Well my oh my, back they went very slowly from one full lock to another smashing both door mirrors into the rock dry stone walls on their 250 yards back to the passing place!

some people ,well,quite a few , just can't do backwards , and being an impatient sort of fellow , i'll usually back up, or ,in extremis , tell them to move over while i back up their motor . i see these folk as obstructions i have to overcome as a driver , like rocks ,broken down cars, bloody cyclists and horses

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back