12 Volt freezer

Trotter

Arrived yesterday.
Unbranded, but a Alpicool freezer, probably. I’ve seen them as Alpicool, ICE, amongst others.
It’s 18 litre, about 30x30x50cm, so not enormous. When I turned it on, it was 14oC within ten minutes it was -10, after twenty -22C, it’s lowest setting. A little while ago, I put a container with water in it, set an alarm for an hour, I’ll see how it performs before risking food.
It will be used as a backup to the kitchen one until we’re allowed out again.

Waste of money? Possibly. The amount of veggies I was throwing out because they had gone over, seemed wrong. Cooking for one, even something like a cabbage lasted forever. Now I can buy frozen veggies, meat in larger, more economical packs, not forgetting ice cream 😬

Arrived yesterday.
Unbranded, but a Alpicool freezer, probably. I’ve seen them as Alpicool, ICE, amongst others.
It’s 18 litre, about 30x30x50cm, so not enormous. When I turned it on, it was 14oC within ten minutes it was -10, after twenty -22C, it’s lowest setting. A little while ago, I put a container with water in it, set an alarm for an hour, I’ll see how it performs before risking food.
It will be used as a backup to the kitchen one until we’re allowed out again.

Waste of money? Possibly. The amount of veggies I was throwing out because they had gone over, seemed wrong. Cooking for one, even something like a cabbage lasted forever. Now I can buy frozen veggies, meat in larger, more economical packs, not forgetting ice cream 😬

45 watts of power needed. How quickly did it ice up the water?
Cheers. David.

45 watts of power needed. How quickly did it ice up the water?
Cheers. David.
Water iced over within the hour. 45 watts when the compressor was working. Once down to temperature, it should be fairly low.
As I said in an earlier thread, with 200w of solar, 270ah batteries and the Cteks. I’m confident that I’ll be okay for power. Especially as this will be my only significant power drain. Bike is only charged when driving, as is the Chromebook, more often than not. Phone and iPad as and when required. Kettle at 650w only used at lunch stops, or in full sun.
If I’ve got my sums wrong, it wouldn’t be the first time 🙄.

I’d hate for anyone to take any of the above as a recommendation. It isn’t. Consider it an itch I had to scratch.
Money wasted? Who knows?

Freezers have been as difficult to get hold of as toilet rolls were and a tesco slot still is. Argos an Currys have had none since before the lock down nor any of our local stores. After a month we did get one from A&O they had 5 of the size we wanted at 0800 by 11.00 they where sold out

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back