12 volt socket

Aly1

I was looking at buying an endless breeze fan but it works on a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug. My van hasn’t got one of these sockets in the hab area, it just has USB sockets that say 5amp or 2 amp on them.
If I got a cigarette to USB adaptor (if they exist), would that be 12 volt?

12V yes but your power rating is only 2 or 5amps on the usb outputs.
You would trash them and the wiring.
You need a newly run dedicated lead 12 volts yes but maybe 10 amps (OR MORE !)
Check the volts and amps needed by the Fan 1
Volts = pressure
Amps = current (Flow)
12Volts x 10 Amps =120 watts
If you draw 10 amps consistently for long you may drain your battery(ies)

12V yes but your power rating is only 2 or 5amps on the usb outputs.
You would trash them and the wiring.
You need a newly run dedicated lead 12 volts yes but maybe 10 amps (OR MORE !)
Check the volts and amps needed by the Fan 1
Volts = pressure
Amps = current (Flow)
12Volts x 10 Amps =120 watts
If you draw 10 amps consistently for long you may drain your battery(ies)
But isn't the 2 or 5 amp refering to the USB sockets? Which are 5v anyway so wouldn't work. You're correct in saying that the best way would be to run a new 10amp socket, I think most 12v cigar lighter sockets would be a maximum of 10 amps so I think one of those Hela sockets would be required for anything higher than 10 amps and then you would need to change the plug on the fan to match. I would ask Dave (Wildebus) I'm sure he does this type of stuff.

Regards,
Del

It says on the specifications for the Endless Breeze:
  • 12V Powered
  • Low AMP draw, less than 3 AMPS

You can buy the sockets and add where you want them.

I was looking at buying an endless breeze fan but it works on a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug. My van hasn’t got one of these sockets in the hab area, it just has USB sockets that say 5amp or 2 amp on them.
Firstly - you cannot get a USB to 12V Adapter
You can of course get a 12V to USB Adapter, so if you were not able to add an additional socket to give you a 12V connection, you could almost certainly remove the existing USB socket, fit a 12V socket in its place using the same wiring, and then, when you are not using the 12V socket for the Fan, push in the 12V-USB adapter to get your USB back.

If you need them, I have 12V sockets and Adapters I can send out for next day post.

I would change the plug on the fan and fit a 2 pin 12V specific socket (as I hold a distinct dislike for cigarette type plugs) with a decent weight of wire fitted to it, something like a 2.5 mm as a minimum and a decent weight of fuse wired into the supply.

Phil
I don’t understand why they use the cig lighter sockets and not proper Hella sockets, they are much better 👍

I don’t understand why they use the cig lighter sockets and not proper Hella sockets, they are much better 👍
My freezer has a Hella plug including the sleeve enabling it to be used in a cigarette socket. It won’t be there long. It’s going to be supplied from the battery via a switch and fuse. Belt and braces.

It says on the specifications for the Endless Breeze:
  • 12V Powered
  • Low AMP draw, less than 3 AMPS
36 watts? Is this an endless breeze or an endless hurricane? Seriously, that seems like a very big power draw for a desk fan.
Perhaps that's just the start-up peak current, and it only draws about 1.5A in normal running.

These will happy take 10amps at 12v,my van has them in 3 spots,dash cooking zone and tv zone,both with usb and cigy ,thick wire to them to carry load and all
I have a similar one, but with lots more switches. All of which were 'the wrong way up' unless you're American, but otherwise a very nice bit of kit.
I changed it so that one switch acts as a master switch, turning them all off in one click if you want.
On reflection, the one you have would have sufficed if I'd seen it available at the time.

I have a similar one, but with lots more switches. All of which were 'the wrong way up' unless you're American, but otherwise a very nice bit of kit.
I changed it so that one switch acts as a master switch, turning them all off in one click if you want.
On reflection, the one you have would have sufficed if I'd seen it available at the time.
You can buy a few dif sets and change them around to your own taste.

I think I’ll forget the endless breeze and just get a fan that plugs into my USB socket. It’s all too complicated for me!
Thanks for everyone’s replies.

I think I’ll forget the endless breeze and just get a fan that plugs into my USB socket. It’s all too complicated for me!
Thanks for everyone’s replies.
Morrisons supermarket had a fairly good one for sale at £4. 4inch with USB. Not as good as the Maplin one I have, but close enough. Then again, we still have Morrisons 🤞

My freezer has a Hella plug including the sleeve enabling it to be used in a cigarette socket. It won’t be there long. It’s going to be supplied from the battery via a switch and fuse. Belt and braces.
I have a couple of things with the adapters for hella but I mean the proper Hella pin and sockets. I had some fitted on the last bike and they are excellent, really contact and grip well.

The cig lighters will take more than 10 amps if you wire and fuse them higher. I have a couple that Dave made up for me for mobility scooter that are fused and wired direct from Hab battery.

Pound land usb 2in fan on a swan neck £1
4inch enclosed fan £5 usb. lead 1.25 m
Use both in truck as It has usb holes above head hight.
I dont like cig light power sockets! as they don't come with , (I melt warning)

No, usb is 5volts. Buy a cigarette socket and wire it to a fused supply from the habitation battery. You can buy a long extension lead to plug into the cigarette lighter, five meters I thing mine is.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back