12v fuse conundrum

Pudsey Bear

I'm having a few issues with the van since we got it, Fridge on 230v and gas, fan behind the gas fire, and the water heater, not to mention the awful control panel for the van itself.

It's an Ace Sienna, and although we like the van it's taking a lot longer than normal to sort it out due to Covid and there being more vans around which need repairing, I have one of the MCEA lads coming to look at it on the 28th so hopefully, he'll have more of a clue than me, but they are not that common a van.

I decided today to check all the fuses as I had the sofa cushions off for a good cleaning, the problem is I don't have a clue both as to what they are protecting, they have a fuse reference, but nothing in the Ace manual to give information for each one. ~I can of course go through to see if any have failed, but does anyone have more info?

2021-07-07%2014.22.07.jpg

2021-07-07%2014.22.22.jpg

If you have no joy here I would ask these people, they repair/exchange Nord Elettronica control units including the NE 184 so might be able give advice

A fuse is there to protect the wiring in the event of a fault. There should never be a fault. Fuses should never blow.
If something stops working, you might discover that a fuse has blown, but replacing the fuse without fixing the fault is not a smart move.
Until a fuse blows, why do you need to know what each fuse protects?
Of course, some fuses do fail for no good reason, but it is very, very rare.

Can't see the point. If a fuse never blows, you'll not need to know. If a fuse blows, you'll know which has gone, which circuit is dead.

You don't have to see the point if that's what you want, the OP would like to know and I like to know everything about the circuits on my vehicles
One of the first things I did with my new to me motorhome was check every circuit and how it related to the fuses (even though they were all labelled) as the time to discover what fuse protects what circuit is NOT when something stops working.

The fuse which services our fridge when running blew.
I checked whilst the engine was running no fridge on 12V.
I have the manual for the ECU. So....
1 I knew which switch.
2 I know its rating to replace with the same.
The fuse had not blown in 10 years.
The replacement has not blown since and I check everyday we run.

I agree that if fuses blow there may be a further problem.
But they do fail sometimes due to ageing etc!

I am well aware of the purposes of a fuse, however in the real world thing misbehave and fuses blow, knowing which is for what is important if it wasn't vehicle manufacturers would give that information in their manuals.

To be more to the point, if the manual told me which fuse covers which appliances I could simply check that fuse, as it is I will need to check each and every one, and it has to be done with a meter as you can have a fault with a fuse holder just as easily as with a fuse, so a PITA.

I agree, it’s nice to be aware of which circuits the fuses protect. Fuses do blow and often there is no associated fault. A couple of years ago, our TV / Sat and a couple of 12v outlets and USB ports stopped working. Luckily I knew where the fuse was ( they are all labelled) and changed it.
A couple weeks later, it happened again, just as I plugged in a 12v plug. The plug is similar to motorcycle 12v plugs and if you don’t insert it straight it can short out, which it did. Then I remembered, I put that plug in the last time the fuse went.
So, it’s not always a fault that blows fuses, sometimes it’s Mr Clumsy and it helps to know where these fuses are.

Pull each one in turn and see what stops working, then label as required, by the way ditch that very old so called charger/battery boiler and fit a smart unit.
I keep forgetting to use that term "Battery Boiler" :)

On a semi-associated topic, if anyone has a VW Transporter and wants to know what fuse is what, forget it! Ask VW and they will tell you you have to go into the Dealer for their expert analysis of the fuse box (no doubt at £150/Hr)

Pull each one in turn and see what stops working, then label as required, by the way ditch that very old so called charger/battery boiler and fit a smart unit.
Yoo talking to me? :) :)

I'm having a few issues with the van since we got it, Fridge on 230v and gas, fan behind the gas fire, and the water heater, not to mention the awful control panel for the van itself.

It's an Ace Sienna, and although we like the van it's taking a lot longer than normal to sort it out due to Covid and there being more vans around which need repairing, I have one of the MCEA lads coming to look at it on the 28th so hopefully, he'll have more of a clue than me, but they are not that common a van.

I decided today to check all the fuses as I had the sofa cushions off for a good cleaning, the problem is I don't have a clue both as to what they are protecting, they have a fuse reference, but nothing in the Ace manual to give information for each one. ~I can of course go through to see if any have failed, but does anyone have more info?

2021-07-07%2014.22.07.jpg

2021-07-07%2014.22.22.jpg
Hi we have an ace airstream 57reg will attach photo of our fuse box which has indents for fusesIMG_20210712_092121.jpg

Thanks but it's too shaky for my eyes to focus, would it be possible to take another picture then I'll print it out and have it in the van next to the fuses.

Ah. I can read that i might remove some to see if they are the same.

Thanks

Unfortunately, it is set up differently for some reason, which must make it awkward for the building sparkies.

So still looking for one for the Ace Siena.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back