12v socket still powering TV after turning off the main power on the panel?

SpikeyPoo

Free Member

Iv'e just taken delivery of my new Chausson 640 Titanium Ultimate.
I have 2 x 12v sockets at the rear of my motorhome.
I have found that if I use either of the 12v sockets to power my TV and then turn off the main power at the control panel that the standby light is still on the TV?
I would have thought that the main power switch on the control panel should turn off all the leisure battery 12v stuff?
Could the rear 12v sockets be connected to the engine battery?

Last edited:
My old sargent 328 system powers off the 12v when controle panel turned off , you need to ask the supplier,

I think the 12 volt sockets are separate to the 230 v and will still be powered up when mains is off.
I wasn't plugged into the mains at the time.
I know that the 230v sockets only work on mains hook up
I assumed that the 12volt round sockets at the rear of the van were part of the leisure battery power and as such should turn off when the main on/off switch on the control panel was turned off.

Iv'e just taken delivery of my new Chausson 640 Titanium Ultimate.
I have 2 x 12v sockets at the rear of my motorhome.
I have found that if I use either of the 12v sockets to power my TV and then turn off the main power at the control panel that the standby light is still on the TV?
I would have thought that the main power switch on the control panel should turn off all the leisure battery 12v stuff?
Could the rear 12v sockets be connected to the engine battery?
I can't help with an answer, but I would make the same assumption as you have.

FWIW, I have some auxiliary 12v equipment (including a twin 'cigar lighter' socket) that's on a separate fuse panel. These remain live when the main 12v panel is switched off. I suspect it was done this way either because a previous owner wanted the auxiliary stuff or because none of the auxiliary stuff has CE EMC issues and this stuff can remain live with the engine running and the separate panel is a means of bypassing the EMC relay?

FWIW, I have some auxiliary 12v equipment (including a twin 'cigar lighter' socket) that's on a separate fuse panel. These remain live when the main 12v panel is switched off. I suspect it was done this way either because a previous owner wanted the auxiliary stuff or because none of the auxiliary stuff has CE EMC issues and this stuff can remain live with the engine running and the separate panel is a means of bypassing the EMC relay?
But this is a brand new van Geoff - straight from Chausson

Makes total sense and I have stuff like that too that I have added. But on a brand-new Factory-Fresh Motorhomer it seems a bit strange, no?

I wasn't plugged into the mains at the time.
I know that the 230v sockets only work on mains hook up
I assumed that the 12volt round sockets at the rear of the van were part of the leisure battery power and as such should turn off when the main on/off switch on the control panel was turned off.
Sorry misread your Post my Control Panel has to be on for 12 V supply to work, Chris.

I know this might be 'bleeding obvious', but you say the 'Standby light' is still on when the power is turned off. Do you know that power is still being supplied to the TV via the 12v (ie have you turned on and used the TV) or is it just residual power stored in the TV power pack which is keeping the light on?

But this is a brand new van Geoff - straight from Chausson
FWIW, the 12v sockets on both my car and in the motorhome cab remain live when the ignition is off and the key removed. After the CE marking EMC directives were implemented many (if not all) motorhome manufacturers installed and "EMC" relay that turned off the habitation 12v system when the ignition is switched on. This was to avoid the very expensive testing and certification that would be required of every piece of 12v habitation equipment installed. However, 12v sockets don't have the same potential to interfere or be affected by other equipment and so can be permitted to stay live with the ignition on. While unlikely, it's not impossible that a manufacturer has considered this and bypassed the EMC relay for the 12v socket. There's also that it could be a 'non-standard addition' if this is a dealer special edition.
That said, it's more likely that the socket is powered from the cranking battery or (as @DTDOG suggested) the standby light takes a while to go out.

In our Chausson the habitation cigarette type sockets (3) work at all times. But the cab ones (2) dont work without the ignition on
The control panel makes no difference.
Edit on the amount of sockets

Last edited:
In our Chausson the habitation cigarette type sockets (2) work at all times. But the cab ones (2) dont work without the ignition on
Thanks for that Drover - I'll have to make sure I dont leave anything plugged into them accidentally then.

In our Chausson the habitation cigarette type sockets (2) work at all times. But the cab ones (2) dont work without the ignition on
Sounds like the definative answer :)

I know on a Sargent PDU based MH, ALL DC Hab electrics bar one called "permanent 12V" are disconnected when the Control Panel power button is pressed off. (The Perm 12V is used for Fridge electronics basically). And the TV socket definately goes off when control panel is off.

Makes sense to operate that way to me as when you are leaving the van, you can press one button to turn everything off and not have to go and unplug stuff.

I know this might be 'bleeding obvious', but you say the 'Standby light' is still on when the power is turned off. Do you know that power is still being supplied to the TV via the 12v (ie have you turned on and used the TV) or is it just residual power stored in the TV power pack which is keeping the light on?
Good question DTDOG...and yes it turns on and works

My Pilote is the same, the main 12v switch doen not switch off the fridge supply or Aldi heating, the entrance door light also works.
I always check every circuit before working on the electrics.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back