13Kg Refillable Gas Bottle for Sale - SOLD

wildebus

Ok, not even got this yet, but I am selling :oops: :) o_O

Explanation .... I bought from a Forum Member a refillable gas setup with a pair of 13Kg bottles (gasit? gaslow? not sure which. same thing, no? it is NOT a yellow bottle anyway) for a future MH installation. Now the van I was expecting to buy was NOT the van I actually bought!
I DID expect to be able to fit 2 x 13Kg bottles in the locker. The new van only has room for 1 x13Kg bottle and 1 x 7.5Kg bottle - so I will have 1 13Kg bottle I will have no use for sadly :(

But my sad news could be great news for someone else :D

So 1 x 13Kg Refillabled Gas Bottle for sale - It should be at the Kelso meet if anyone interested is going to that later this weekend? or maybe meets up with someone who is going to that meet?
Price? Dunno. The new price for a bottle on its one looks to be around £180. I am not looking for anything like that as this is a used bottle and has only about half the life left in it before it officially needs refreshing (as I understand it). So thinking £35? (under 20% of new price for a bottle with 50% service left is not bad?).
And if it has gas in it as well .... Bonus for free! (I have no idea if it does or not!)

Hope this makes sense. Gas is not my thing so I doubt if I can answer any questions about it, but you can try :ROFLMAO:

UPDATED POST: The Bottle for sale is NOT a Yellow one, so I think that means it is not a Gaslow bottle?

Last edited:

Mr Torchy

Probably Gaslow - yellow
I was going to fit 2 x 13kg but found only one 13kg was plenty. Unless you plan to go off grid for weeks at a time, one is for Mr Average.

This is a bargain, therefore anyone who is thinking of converting over (which I absolutely recommend), should take up this offer.
Gas is cheap and available at many fuel stations.

Chris Evans001

What is the date on the bottle please David? Do you have the certificate? Is it definitely Gaslow?

My gaslow bottle is now out of date and so, I believe, should be replaced. Very interested if its got some time left before it needs re test or replacement.

Thanks

Chris Evans001

Just read your post properly!! Half the life left. So, five years ish.

If its gaslow I'll take it please. Put my name on it.

Absolutely no idea how i'll get it but lets cross that bridge later!

wildebus

Just read your post properly!! Half the life left. So, five years ish.

If its gaslow I'll take it please. Put my name on it.

Absolutely no idea how i'll get it but lets cross that bridge later!
I have just checked a comment from the seller .... It is the Yellow one I am keeping as that has longer life remaining and selling the other one (sorry, got them mixed up - I will update the first post).
But bear in mind these two cylinders (the Yellow and the 'non-Yellow' were fitted in the same system so are compatible with each other). Sorry for confusion there.

Phantom

It sounds like a Gas-It cylinder, a bargain at £35, it will soon be snapped up!
I was lucky enough to add another new/unused 11kg Gaslow cylinder for £80, though about £165 new.

nabsim

Definitely a bargain price on this, has it not sold Dave?

Mr Torchy

Question

If my refillable bottle expires, are they exchangable for a small fee or completely useless and non refurblishable?

wildebus

Question

If my refillable bottle expires, are they exchangable for a small fee or completely useless and non refurblishable?
I would be interested in the answer for this, if anyone could say?
as an assumption, I would imagine exchange for reduced fee and destroyed?
maybe Calor gas ones are time-limited as well but no one realises as they just get taken out the network when exchanged and found to be over a certain age?

rugbyken

i should hang on david i’m just loading the bottles to courier up the fairly full one is the gaslo but i think that is the older bottle it has the big collar on it which i thought meant pre 2010 this makes it very tall & i have had to remove some racking to fit it in and it’s buried so no photos or check i’m afraid , i hadn’t actually loaded the empty one as that’s going in my box on the back it’s similar to a gas it but branded rv refillable and is dated 2014 05 visually in very good condition and lots of piping & adaptors

E291F2B3-CE5A-4281-990D-937DC304F28D.jpeg

nabsim

Question

Well my view is the bottle is good the day before it expires it won’t have changed a lot the day after. I do know on Gaslow bottles there is a valve they say should be changed after 10 years but can’t remember which bit. You could find out asking Gaslow though.
Gaslow were setting up an exchange for expired bottles but I didn’t keep track, I think (but do check) it was around £100 and your old bottle for a new one. It may tell you on their website

Edit: here you gohttps://www.gaslowdirect.com/re-certified-gaslow-cylinders/

Markd

Question

Editing after looking at latest Gaslow website.

I' 'spoke' with Gaslow about 'expired' bottles a couple of years and all they would then do is offer you a discount on a new one - this would still be more expensive than you can get them new from other sellers.
I found this out when I bought one of their 'reconditioned' bottles that didn't have full life.
I think the cost of retesting an old bottle is prohibitive privately and manufacturers want to sell new ones😀 Mind you Calor do it themselves - I've seen some very old bottles with new 'proof' dates on them.
I'm pleased to see that they are now retesting so that's better for the environment - but £99 is still quite a lot of money.
As a private individual you don't have to have in date bottles and let's face it a refillable bottle tucked away in a gas locker isn't going to suffer in the same way as an exchange bottle being humped about on all surfaces in all weathers.
So if you've got refillable in a locker don't worry.

I certainly wouldn't be so blase about an underslung tank with grit blasting and salt water spray on it.
I can imagine them failing before their pressure life expires.

Last edited:

wildebus

i should hang on david i’m just loading the bottles to courier up the fairly full one is the gaslo but i think that is the older bottle it has the big collar on it which i thought meant pre 2010 this makes it very tall & i have had to remove some racking to fit it in and it’s buried so no photos or check i’m afraid , i hadn’t actually loaded the empty one as that’s going in my box on the back it’s similar to a gas it but branded rv refillable and is dated 2014 05 visually in very good condition and lots of piping & adaptors
thanks Ken.
I will put the sale on hold for a few days.
I just though it could have been a handy time to pass one on of I will not be using it. Appreciate you bringing it up and sounds like a bit of hassle for you there :(

in h

Bizarrely, a fitted tank in a vehicle does not have to be inspected or replaced at any date, ever. Seems odd, but them's the rules.
I've no idea what the rules are about bottles, but if it isn't rusty and isn't leaking, what is wrong with one at 121 months old as opposed to one at 120 months old?
Who is checking? What are they checking for?

Markd

Thanks for update on fitted tanks - I certainly would be checking every MoT to have a good look if I had one.
Bottles have to be in date if in commercial use - so if a rental van had them the owner would need to change them at expiry.

I see Gaslow tacitally acknowledges that individuals don't have to but do their best to scare us into changing.
I agree that a bottle in a locker should last 'forever'

Here's what GasIt say

Last edited:

in h

Thanks for that link. Amongst a lot of waffle, it clearly says "privately owned end-user owned refillable gas bottles do not need to be legally tested every 10 years" or indeed, ever. But they don't say that!

wildebus

Thanks for that link. Amongst a lot of waffle, it clearly says "privately owned end-user owned refillable gas bottles do not need to be legally tested every 10 years" or indeed, ever. But they don't say that!
I noticed that was included in the information.

I guess trading in a refillable bottle after 10 years old is a bit like having a Habitation Check every year. Some people just do it because they think they HAVE to; Some people will never do it; And some people may do depending on their gut feeling.

After reading the info in the link, I would be inclined to keep after the 10 years and not worry (I really would be much more concerned for an underslung gas tank - really not keen on them).

in h

I had an underslung gas tank that was in its late teens, and was rusty in patches. I decided that it wanted checking, but that's not easy, so I simply replaced it.
Looking at the old one, I think I wasted my money. The old tank was pretty solid even in its rustiest parts. I think I maybe ought to have just cleaned the old one up and refitted it. I'm less confident of refillable bottles: they're more vulnerable to misuse and damage, and heavier, size for size.
The main advantage of bottles is that you can change them from van to van. The main advantage of underslung is that you gain storage space. The other advantage is that they are available in bigger sizes.

wildebus

I had an underslung gas tank that was in its late teens, and was rusty in patches. I decided that it wanted checking, but that's not easy, so I simply replaced it.
Looking at the old one, I think I wasted my money. The old tank was pretty solid even in its rustiest parts. I think I maybe ought to have just cleaned the old one up and refitted it. I'm less confident of refillable bottles: they're more vulnerable to misuse and damage, and heavier, size for size.
The main advantage of bottles is that you can change them from van to van. The main advantage of underslung is that you gain storage space. The other advantage is that they are available in bigger sizes.
Reminds me of my VW T5 Exhaust - van was 8 years old when I bought it and when I saw the Exhaust box I was surprised it wasn't blowing
(pic below after I just peeled the skin down to look underneath)
1600277941831.png
Turns out this is pretty standard for T5 Exhausts and the outer skins fall apart but the exhausts don't rust through and blow.