150w Inverter

Trotter

I’ve a Maplin, 150w 12 volt, modified sine wave Inverter. Using an online ready reckoner, it seems I can safely use it to power up to 12.5 Amps.
Have I, and the RR got it right?

To power 240V appliances at 12.5 Amps? No.

150W at 240V is 0.625 Amps. Whatever you plug into the inverter can't draw more than 150W, or 0.625 Amps.

You used 12 as the voltage, which is the supply side, and in reality it will draw a bit more than 12A from your battery.

Steve, I’m going to buy a electric motor for my bike. The charger for the battery mentioned in the ad says it’s 2amp. They also can supply at a ( very) increased cost, a 4 amp and a 5 amp charger .
I’m not even going to pretend I understand electrickery. I’ll simply ask the question, what size inverter would I need to charge a bike battery at 2 amps or 4 amps. The van has 270 ah batteries in good order, ctek and solar.

Obviously got this wrong. Or didn’t understand what the RR was telling me.

Is 12.5 amps at 12volts = 150watts ? And I was getting that confused with what an inverter could provide at 240 volts?

I think we’ve discussed my knowledge of electric before, haven’t we Jeff? Also, can’t remember, is it you who owes me a pound or ‘tother way round?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back