runnach

I delivered my very first welding evening class at the then Edinburgh's Telford College.

Last night 29/11/2022, I delivered my very last evening class at Edinburgh College Midlothian campus, lots of fond memories and meeting interesting characters.

A precursor for this January, and no more dancing with the blue lady!

I delivered my very first welding evening class at the then Edinburgh's Telford College.

Last night 29/11/2022, I delivered my very last evening class at Edinburgh College Midlothian campus, lots of fond memories and meeting interesting characters.

A precursor for this January, and no more dancing with the blue lady!
Glanced at post and read " delivered my first wedding dress"!! .....Will go and put my glasses on and refocus!

Was he related to Thomas the Tank Engine ?
Or did he star in "A Bridge Too Far"
And did he retire to Shropshire ?

Liz and I have walked that many times, considering she has vertigo I thought she was very brave.

If you don't have vertigo you can catch it.

Not worried about the water, not even the drop, just that landing bit, it's going to hurt assumoing I didn't die of a heart attack on the way down.

2010, just before taking the narrow boat across!

Believe it or not I understand that Ullapool is also a Telford designed village.

Any idea if Telford College and/or Telford Road are named after the great man, Terry?

F10F24EF-CB65-4110-A616-6E2F98E71F73.jpeg

Yes Tony, Edinburgh's Telford College was named after the great man himself, fair to assume Telford Rd has a similar connection. Our original Crewe Rd South campus, we had an original link from Menia Bridge hanging on wall outside our Engineering Dept. Prior to our 2006 relocation to Waterside development, link was skipped, which we rescued, brought and stored at our new campus. Fast forward a year or three, Prince Charles was giving a heritage speech within our new campus hub, lots of dignitaries attending. I was summoned and tasked to remove link from storage and to design and fit link to wall at college hub entrance, which I carried out. A plaque was also fitted detailing what this lump of cast steel was.

I was at Granton for world skills construction finals, I can't recall seeing the link, I need to ask. Also Tony, the bridge you will have crossed on many occasions while entering or leaving Pathhead on the A68, is another of Telfords design and build.

Incidentally, what was previously known as Stevenson College, Edinburgh (now Edinburgh College Sighthill campus, original name was for the Scottish born Stevenson family brothers, a family where authors were born into (Kidnapped by RL Stevenson) and of course, their engineering feats of building Scotlands Lighthouses, Bell Rock, Skerryvore, Dubh Artach, Muckle Flugga, as some examples.

1670005245789.png

My father was born just up the road, and over the years our family has crossed it by water and foot.

About 45 years ago I was walking underneath the pillars and I met an 'Old Timer' who told me that ox blood was used in it's construction. He was absolutely right.

Today, our son's ....... and a granddaughter cross it. It's a brilliant piece of solid engineering.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back