24 hrs usage elec

MOJO

Free Member

How much do you use in 24 hrs?

Arrived at cl site with metered electric. Interesting I thought as never looked in to consumption before. Put 14 kw on meter . After 18 hrs it ran out. So it seems we consume about 18/19 kw in 24hrs.
On this site at. 27 pence that's about £5.00 per day?

From a website
UK = 0.26 US$ per unit (KWH) about 20p so 27p a tout OTT but they have installing and running costs
This may well entail a yearly safety check (Not cheap).
Check how much you pay at home !
Do you use the Leccy to heat MoHo
Gas probably cheaper.
I am quite happy to pay £3 extra for Leccy but winge at £4 and would try to avoid £5
As we only use MoHo in the summer we pay very little for Electricity
In Gemany maybe 1 or 2 euros sometimes
Germany comes out at 0.37 USD so 30p or so 30p x 20KWH = £6

How much do you use in 24 hrs?

Arrived at cl site with metered electric. Interesting I thought as never looked in to consumption before. Put 14 kw on meter . After 18 hrs it ran out. So it seems we consume about 18/19 kw in 24hrs.
On this site at. 27 pence that's about £5.00 per day?
We use zero. Off grid always even when available. LPG about 70p a day in summer, and we do use the oven. Do you run everything on electric?

If we plug in at home .
With fridge on .our smart metre say about £5 per day extra usage.

Most sites advertise electric hook-up but don't tell you have limited useage before you pay extra. I suppose its there so people don't use it unnecessarily. Usual fee is £5 a day. If you stay three nights, they will give you £15 worth and then it becomes an extra payment.

A modern Dometic big fridge Absoption fridge
ELECTRICAL
Input voltage (AC) 230-240 V
Input voltage (DC) 12 V
Rated input current (AC) 1.4 A
Rated input current (DC) 23 A
Rated input power (AC) 325 W
Rated input power (DC) 275 W
Input frequency 50/60 Hz
so on Mains 325 watts
on 12v only 275 watts so 17% less
23 amps on DC hence will only run when alternator working or Battery drained
If you were to use an inverter for 1.4 amps @12V would need say 20x 1.4 =28 amps then you have the Inverter loss.

I appreciate the more modern compressor fridge are more efficient
325 watts for 24hours = 7.8 KWH (units) = say 8 x 30p = £2.40

I thought that the Law was changed regarding the resale price of Electricity, this was done to protect folks being ripped off by unscrupulous Landlords in rented flats etc, and this spilled over to campsites, this is why CCC sites have electric supplied pitches and non Electric supplied pitches and this way you do not pay extra for electricity consumed but just the facility of an electric pitch. and I thought the law applied to metered pitches too ? in that you cannot sell electricity for more than you paid for it ??

We use about £2 a day at home. That’s including a constantly running vent system, heating 200 litres of water a day, lights, TV and electric cooker, a fridge and two freezers and a good few cups of tea and coffee every day.
Our electricity here is about half what you paid, but I have to wonder what you are you doing in your van to use that much power?

A modern Dometic big fridge Absoption fridge
ELECTRICAL
Input voltage (AC) 230-240 V
Input voltage (DC) 12 V
Rated input current (AC) 1.4 A
Rated input current (DC) 23 A
Rated input power (AC) 325 W
Rated input power (DC) 275 W
Input frequency 50/60 Hz
so on Mains 325 watts
on 12v only 275 watts so 17% less
23 amps on DC hence will only run when alternator working or Battery drained
If you were to use an inverter for 1.4 amps @12V would need say 20x 1.4 =28 amps then you have the Inverter loss.

I appreciate the more modern compressor fridge are more efficient
325 watts for 24hours = 7.8 KWH (units) = say 8 x 30p = £2.40
After getting a Motorhome with a 3-Way Absorption Fridge, I have been rather shocked just how inefficient they are on electricity!
The Fridge in my Campervan - a 240V AC Compressor Fridge of 94L uses 40W when running, and it is running around 1/3rd the time (so an average of around 13W/Hour)
Doing the same monitoring of the Fridge in my Motorhome - a 3-way Thetford AES 180L Fridge, it uses 200+W when running, and it is running around 3/4 of the time (so an average of around 150W/Hour)
An incredible difference!

I never used to turn the Campervan Fridge off - It would happy run off the power from the Solar virtually throughout the year and only in the darkest parts of the year would I need to plug in to give the batteries a boost.
I am pulling multiple kWs of power a day to run the fridge in the Motorhome and it is a bit of a shocker! Need to change my habit of just leaving the fridge in the new Motorhome running I think as over a year that could easily be £300+ extra in electricity.

Last edited:
I should explain that using 240v is unusuall for us untill winter arrives. We have 300w solar and lithium for the invertor and lpg. However the Alde 6kw gas heating can be used on electric at 3kw which drops automatically when the load to van exceeds 16 amp such as kettle use.The night and day timed thermostat always on.

We use zero. Off grid always even when available. LPG about 70p a day in summer, and we do use the oven. Do you run everything on electric?
Yes our LPG costs are the same in summer 70p a day which includees Cadac BBQ usage which is a touch inefficient. Minimal oven use

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back