25 w solar panel

gipojoe

Free Member

Hello I got a 25w solar panel which I am going to connect up to leisure battery while in storage .I have got alarm on the van running while stored . My question is will the 25 w solar panel run the alarm ?
whats the thinking on this ?

Does your alarm run from your leisure batteries? They usually run off the starter battery.

If you are wanting to replace power used by the alarm you need solar connected to the battery it runs from

A few variables here I'm afraid.

How big are the batteries, how long will the van be stored without being used, what functions does your alarm system have etc.

Having said that, my alarm system just runs from the vehicle battery and it has been left for several weeks without being run and that is with no solar charging so providing your batteries are ok shouldn't be a problem.

I have a 100w panel that coped last winter but now I am parked in a less sunny spot it isn’t enough. Previously I tried a 14w one which was a waste of time. My alarm is connected to the engine battery.

I thought all alarms were run from the vehicle battery ! Never heard of one running of the leisure battery. Did you wire this up yourself ?

No not nearly enough in winter ,possible in Summer if facing the sun with no obstruction .cheap eBay 100 w panel £80 plus controller

Check the paper work for the alarm, if it uses more than 25 watts then the solar will not replace sufficient power, standby or alarming

A 25 watt panel will give about one amp hour per day in winter, as long as it has a clear view of what sun there is. That's the equivalent of about 40mA. If your alarm (and anything else running off the hab batteries) uses uses no more than about 35mA you will be fine.
Most alarms seem to use between 25mA and 100mA but you need to know what yours uses.
All you need to do is connect a multimeter (set to measure 100mA current) to the negative terminal of the LB and to the cable to it, then disconnect the cable from the battery.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back