3 Home Broadband

Bouydog

I have ditched our home broadband and land line contract renewal and gone with 3 home broadband.20210707_130753.jpg
Get a much better signal than on my phone also 3 and it works well in the bus. I am taking it with us tomorrow for a week away and see how it performs. Unlimited data two year contract £22 a month and a free telly.

I'd try it before buying a antenna I been using similar at home and all over Europe Greece to Portugal and every where in between for 5 years and never needed the one I bought

Just as an observation, I was checking out the 3 site but they don't use a secure connection. Very poor for a big company.

I've got say that the last few weeks have been anything but good for 3 signal wise. I've been with them for three years (current contract runs out in October) and they seem to be getting worse by the day ☹️ Even when I do get a decent signal my phone which is on EE consistently gets almost double the speeds as does Diane's O2 mobile :unsure: I think it's fair to say that I probably won't be signing a new contract in October. They are easily the cheapest, but it's no good if it doesn't work ;)

Regards,
Del

Nice one OP.

We went with 4G wifi at home around 6 months ago as the 1.5Mbs download/0.6Mbs upload speeds from our wired wifi was getting to be too much of a pain. We have EE as that is just about the only one that can be picked up here in our village. I wish we had 3 as then I wouldn't have to pay £45 per month!! :eek:

We have an antenna at home but also take the router away and haven't need an antenna for it yet whilst away.

I was looking for unlimited free access when abroad too but EE have recently changed their roaming policy so I'll need to double check that before we next venture onto the Continent.

I don't check now that it works decently. Before it was abysmal which is the only reason I checked it.

Now even with 4G it is around 40-45Mbs which allows me to watch sport on the TV in real time without buffering etc...as well as buying useless crap from Ebay too :LOL:

Nice one OP.

We went with 4G wifi at home around 6 months ago as the 1.5Mbs download/0.6Mbs upload speeds from our wired wifi was getting to be too much of a pain. We have EE as that is just about the only one that can be picked up here in our village. I wish we had 3 as then I wouldn't have to pay £45 per month!! :eek:

We have an antenna at home but also take the router away and haven't need an antenna for it yet whilst away.

I was looking for unlimited free access when abroad too but EE have recently changed their roaming policy so I'll need to double check that before we next venture onto the Continent.
Don't think unlimited free access abroad is possible with anyone now or for some time. Most limit the use even on an unlimited UK contract, and as you say, EE are charging.

I've got say that the last few weeks have been anything but good for 3 signal wise. I've been with them for three years (current contract runs out in October) and they seem to be getting worse by the day ☹️ Even when I do get a decent signal my phone which is on EE consistently gets almost double the speeds as does Diane's O2 mobile :unsure: I think it's fair to say that I probably won't be signing a new contract in October. They are easily the cheapest, but it's no good if it doesn't work ;)

Regards,
Del
No single network coverage is perfect but Three mobile data has always worked for me, okay apart from that time in the highlands! Been with them for about 9 years and no real complaints about coverage or speed.
I once tried O2 but got no signal at all at my house, but if I stood in front of either neighbours house it was fine but just no good for me. I guess it can be a bit pot luck!

Regards,
Del
Speed isn’t everything though, if you have enough for what you are doing it doesn’t matter if another provider is twice as quick. I always have a wifi hotspot running in my van powered by 3 home broadband. I would agree that EE has better coverage in some spots but it’s rare I get a problem, certainly not often enough to pay the extra that EE would want for unlimited 👍

We were recently on the east of northern Scotland in coastal village with 1 or zero bar 3 coverage. Checked the wifi and found my home Bt contract allowed connection to a very strong local Bt wifi signal. They used to be in all phone boxes and houses where occupants signed up for wifi sharing. It works really well when it’s sometimes needed.
Just a side benefit of Bt broadband.

We’ve just done the same (ditched Broadband wifi at end of 2 yr contract), opting to go with a 4G mobile wifi router from ZTE which has dual band and is Cat 6 (whatever that means), with a package that included a Smarty Sim at £18/m renewable every month for Unlimited Data, with only 12 GB in EU.

it uses the 3 network which is supposed to be good here but isn’t - they say there’s improvement works at present. But my Vodafone Sim in my iPhone is really good (75mbps) and is great everywhere.
We didn’t want to stick to a phone based BB network for the next 24 months when advances are so great these days and 5G is working nearby, so think 4G is definitely best.

Previously, we tried the Vodafone mobile wifi unit with unlimited data on their £25/m package but they restricted the download speed to under 10mbps, so it was no good. We returned it. Customer Services said the £25/m package was full speed and couldn’t explain the inability to download faster like my phone. Completely baffled by this. And switching to Vodafone involves a 24 month contract, so it’s very frustrating these mixes of mobile wifi units and Sim packages can’t be tested before purchase. However we do intend to test the Smarty Sim properly elsewhere soon.

BTW if anyone wants to try out the Smarty Sim, they do a deal of a free month for both me and you if you follow this link: https://i.smarty.co.uk/dkYxXXx

Attachments

• 357D9087-4B1A-48A6-9686-8D9CEAB01685.jpeg
    357D9087-4B1A-48A6-9686-8D9CEAB01685.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
In rural Aberdeenshire we get 1.5mbs download and .2 upload, with EE I get 48mbs and 26mbs. I can't wait for our landline contract to end to go to EE. We only get a signal on EE so don't have a choice.

In rural Aberdeenshire we get 1.5mbs download and .2 upload, with EE I get 48mbs and 26mbs. I can't wait for our landline contract to end to go to EE. We only get a signal on EE so don't have a choice.
I did exactly the same sort of thing when I had the house in the sticks in Derbyshire. Only had it in the house a week before it moved to the van though lol
For a static location you really need to go for what works so as you say it’s EE for you.

the modems have better antenna built in that phones so what doesn’t work on a phone doesn’t mean it won’t work on a modem with SIM.

A not in general to all, 5G will be super quick but is only going to be available in urban areas, if you stay away from built up places it won’t make any difference going with 4g and saving some money. A CAT6 modem is currently the best option but I manage okay with older tech so far 👍

Regards,
Del
I'm with you there. I get great data coverage on ee and my wife ends up piggy backing her 3 phone which never seems to have data coverage. I'd been tempted by 3 home broadband but decided against due to this

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back