30A Flush Mount PWM Solar Controller

wildebus

I have this brand new PWM Solar Controller for sale at a heavily discounted price.

This design is, as far as I am aware, unique to the UK Market as it gives you a flush installation of the controller rather than having a big lump stuck on the wall :) This can allow for potentially a much neater install depending on your layout.

Here is a side view showing how it would sit in a panel cutout and the rear view of the controller (the Pound coin is to show the size)
50244 50245

As the specs note on the back of the unit, it is good for upto 450W of Solar Panels (configured in Parallel if multiple panels) on a 12V system or 900W on a 24V system
The usual price of this 30A Flush Mount Unit will be £65 +P&P.
I am asking just £35 including UK postage, however there is an additional price .... I would like a "user report" once it has been installed for a while before I bring a batch in for the new "Solar Season".

I only have the one unit available, so first-come, first-serve if more than one person interested.

Cheers

🤠 🦓

No way is that an MPPT. I've seen the identical units also labelled as PWM also.
Yes but this is the mk 2 version just out which they say mppt.new mppt.png

Attachments

• new v a.png
    new v a.png
    220.6 KB · Views: 3
  • new v b.png
    new v b.png
    341.5 KB · Views: 3
  • ne v c.png
    ne v c.png
    179.3 KB · Views: 3
  • new v d .png
    new v d .png
    57.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Nah, still don't believe it.
It is very easy to check though. Put a voltmeter and ammeter on the input and the output and note the numbers. If the total wattage is the same minus a couple of pecent for losses, it could be an MPPT.

Thanks will test,almost same size as new votronic i bought,price of which is 10 times that,seems to be doing the biz though.

Chinese lie on item description shocker pmsl

I'm pretty sure due to the hardware required to do MPPT that just isn't even physically big enough.
Ref Hardware size, I am very sure you are right.
The company that makes the unit I put up here and am selling make standard style 10A and 20A PWM Controllers, which are much more the size of the one Trevor showed - around the size of a 20-pack cigarette pack I would guess?

If you look at the Victron range of MPPT controllers for example, they all seem to be the same physical size as look pretty identical, but when you put them side by side in the flesh, you see that each higher current unit is larger then the previous.
The people who make this unit posted up also make MPPT Controllers, which are much larger. And the higher current/power capacity they are, the bigger the housing is.
And I think they take cooling very seriously! compare below the Victron MPPT 100/20 Controller on the right to their M2420 MPPT 100V 20A unit on the left!!

IMG_20190914_162548
by David, on Flickr
The 30A unit is larger and the 40A unit is larger still!

I see what you mean but surly the extra screen and gubbins that go along with it makes it much larger.when i get a we brake from work i will do the test you showed me,many thanks for that.

I see what you mean but surly the extra screen and gubbins that go along with it makes it much larger.when i get a we brake from work i will do the test you showed me,many thanks for that.
That MPPT above is remarkably large I will say. But Chargers get warm and this has a substantial heatsink on the back and is designed to run cool, so I don't mind that.

Ref the power in and out, it is this kind of thing that an MPPT will be able to do ....

All the 'excess' voltage is converted to extra current - the V x C for the Solar (incoming) and the V x C for the Battery (outgoing) will be virtually the same - the difference being losses in the controller.

The PWM just tends to chop the excess voltage - so Current out = Current in (which is why with PWM, you would connect the panels up in parallel to maximise current not voltage).
I keep meaning to build a "Solar Tester" with monitors in and out to easily check what is happening but not got round to it!

My two 100w panels are in parallel,mind you my batts are always full to the top,but i will try your test if i have a watt meter somewhere.
Do hope you sell your controller and by no way was i trying to belittle you sale,regards trev.

My two 100w panels are in parallel,mind you my batts are always full to the top,but i will try your test if i have a watt meter somewhere.
Do hope you sell your controller and by no way was i trying to belittle you sale,regards trev.
no worries Trev, I fully get where you are coming from :) I'd be interested in the test results with your controller (it is tricky with one meter with the way the power bounces up and down with a solar panel so if you can get two - one each side - it would be ideal.
I'll try and do the same test with the 20A PWM and 20A MPPT controllers I have, fed with 2x 100W of panels configured both ways to log the various results.

no worries Trev, I fully get where you are coming from :) I'd be interested in the test results with your controller (it is tricky with one meter with the way the power bounces up and down with a solar panel so if you can get two - one each side - it would be ideal.
I'll try and do the same test with the 20A PWM and 20A MPPT controllers I have, fed with 2x 100W of panels configured both ways to log the various results.
I see some dash mount meters have a shunt,i may have to look over the way to do this correctly.

They look handy.
I've ordered a pair of the 20A versions I linked to in fact now. Decided on those, even though 20A is a bit small, as they have integral shunts (only on 20A model) so they will make a dual " IN & OUT" monitoring kit more compact and simple.
Not sure about the ones you linked to, but what I like about the ones I showed is they have a direct Wattage display (handy whe you have different voltages and current levels so you can compare more easily) and a cumulative power consumption (or in this case, production) section so you can, over say a day or longer term, check how much your panel has produced.

Let me know how you get on with them,i ordered a unit from ebay 100a ,cheers.

Last edited:
Let me know how you get on with them,i ordered a unit from ebay 100a ,cheers.
Should be sometime next week I think. Next step is find a suitable old transformer to pretend to be a solar panel :) (good to have a consistent power input to compare how the various Solar Controllers are working).

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back