7.5t Horsebox conversion.

Cinque

Free Member

I'm doubting the wisdom of my buying this but 'tis done.
The intention is to convert the horse bit into a bed-sitting room and extending the kitchen and shower room.
It's a 1998 Merc Atego 4.2L engine so not up for much touring (probably 10-15mpg).
The intention is to make it my main (only) habitation, however, finding somewhere to park it (hopefully with water and electricity) will be the biggest problem.
I don't think wandering from lay-by to lay-by will be workable.
Solar panels with battery backup to run a fridge freezer is a priority. Any advice on that would be great.
I am still working on MOT and upgrading my driving license at present and have temp parking at work while converting but long-term parking will be important.
Any and all advice/comments are welcome,
TIA, Paul

IMG_2254.PNGIMG_2255.PNGIMG_2256.PNG

I've looked at 7.5t vehicles a few times (bosses horsebox/race transporter/his ex library services transporter )

And love the idea of the big square box ....
Patio doors just inside rear door and use the ramp as a 'patio/sundeck'
BUT still plenty of light in on a wet winters day ....

At the end of the day it was running costs and difficulty of finding suitable park ups and parking when not used that put paid to my plans sadly ....

BUT if you can get over those they do offer a great chance for conversion with lots of space to play with .

Look forward to see how you go on .

Your biggest problem not being on a site with that will be powering a fridge freezer over winter in the U.K. while I love my 12V compressor fridge I carry a generator to recharge my battery’s every couple of days. You need to think about that if you do go off site with it as solar isn’t going to do it unless you spend an awful lot, a 3 way on gas would be better for you.

I have friends who live full time in big horse boxes and have done for years, they rarely go on a site but usually use byways, country lanes or lay byes.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:15)

Back