A dogs tale..... at Christmas

Red Dwarf

We’d had Nelson as part of the family for a month or so by now, he’d slotted in seamlessly. Our days were spent driving to customers on farms around the Yorkshire Dales, he was a content old dog and traveled well.

On the run up to Christmas an old school friend had been in touch, he’d moved to London a few years earlier and now was married and settled there. I asked him and his wife to come and stay with us over Christmas in North Yorkshire, the plans were made and Christmas Eve drew closer and closer....
The plan was they would travel north by train and I’d pick them up at Leeds. At a little after lunch time the snow started and just kept coming. It took me hours to get to Leeds, though I needn’t have worried as the train was equally as late. I found my old mate and his wife, she had a face like thunder and was quite openly making it clear she wasn’t having fun and was fully intending not to pursue any such line of enjoyment while in Yorkshire with her husbands ‘stupid northern friends’. I clearly remember thinking what a crap Christmas this was about to be...
I got them in the Land Rover, this was a then new series 3 swb hardtop with three seats in the front, my pal by the passenger door and his missus in the middle seat with her legs straddling the gear levers, she wasn’t chuffed. Nelson was on his big cushion in the back. The one hour journey took four hours.
We battled through snow and abandoned vehicles, all the while Nelson quiet in the back. He was an excellent traveler and came with me everyday when I was working. As we pulled up outside the house, my mates wife was making sure we all knew she wasn’t happy and didn’t intend to stay a minute longer than possible.....it was at this very moment, all still sat in the front of the Land Rover that Nelson put his snout over the ranting women’s shoulder and threw up with gusto, covering the miserable woman in a goodly amount of dog sick! Bless him!
The ranting got into overdrive, my old mate and myself were paralytic with laughter and the dog was happily relieved. This was the one and only time that Nelson was ever sick, I swear he did it on purpose...

By the time they were due to leave, my friends wife didn’t want to go, we’d converted her. On the rare occasions that we still get together, it’s always the first thing we talk about with much fondness. That lovely old dog made sure we had a good Christmas.

Merry Christmas folks!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back