A Job Overdue

StreetSleeper

This job was overdue; make a cover for the battery terminals. I wanted to use something that could be easily moulded and, yet, still be rigid so I opted to use this stuff.

Easy enough stuff to use. Saucepan full of boiling water, tip the granules in, wait until they go transparent, fish them out the water; by this time they should be one big lump and squeeze the mass together. I prefer to repeat this two or three times to get all the air bubbles out and then it's ready for moulding.

Here we have it in it's transparent form, moulded round the terminal; it's a bit like working with hot plasticine.

The finished job. Believe me, more than adequate and more than capable of protecting a terminal.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Pretty cool . How easy is it to remove?
Steve, ye of little faith, don't you think I would have tried it out before posting the pictures and putting my neck on the block? On a more serious note, very good point and here's a couple of pictures that will answer your question: first one, moulding removed. This was done with a gentle tease with a flat screwdriver.

And, as you can see, it popped off in a oner, leaving a perfect moulded shape.

Rae

paulhelenwilko

Rae,
This is interesting. I assume that when you took it off it was reuseable and fitted back on ok ?

Also can you pop it back into boiling water and remould ?

Paul

StreetSleeper

can you pop it back into boiling water and remould ?
Hello Paul,
Yes you can put it back into hot water, wait until it goes transparent and remould it and that's what I fully intend to do with the piece in the picture. No need to put any stress on the terminals, providing you don't wrap the stuff completely round you should be able to ping it off with ease.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Needful stuff. What else could motorhomers use it for?
Making hooks?
Hello Katherine,
I think you would be surprised how resilient this stuff is. When I first bought it I rolled it up and made it into a solid bar about six inches long and half an inch wide and I couldn't break it. I know that doesn't prove a lot, some might say I was as weak as a wet lettuce leaf 😂

Rae

StreetSleeper

I use these which are handy to get of and on
Hello Trev,
I would have done as well......they're a great bit of kit. Unfortunately, the batteries that I have fitted have no projecting terminals; in fact, all there is to connect the leads to the battery are a couple of bolts that are threaded into the battery itself.

Rae

Vanterrier

If you have the height above the battery you can buy and fit battery posts that screw into the holes. I have a pair at home you can have gratis if you can wait for me to return from France at end of month?
Like these...
K ;)

Last edited:

StreetSleeper

If you have the height above the battery you can buy and fit battery posts that screw into the holes. I have a pair at home you can have gratis if you can wait for me to return from France at end of month?
Thank you very much for your very kind offer but, unfortunately, I do not have the room under the seat. If I had, they look a brilliant bit of kit and I would have probably ripped your arm off for them.

Rae

wildebus

I like that stuff you used there :) (never seen it before).
Bolting the rings right down direct to the battery tends to give the best connection with lesst losses as well and definately a better option then the round posts.
You can get neat cable covers that slip over the end and cover the bolt/stud head (like the ones on the photo below) but if you have muliple cables it is very hard to find anything off the shelf.
IMG_20190904_133815 by David, on Flickr

Okta

Sorry there should have been a quote from @Vanterrier helpful post about posts here.

Might not work on a Relion battery, the bolt threads are very fine. I wanted an extra long bolt to accommodate an isolating switch on mine. I visited several suppliers but could not find one, even the importer could not get hold of a longer bolt with the right thread. In the end I got one made up at a small local engineering works where he machined down a larger bolt and then cut a new thread into it. He was surprised about the pitch of the thread but did an excellent job for me.