A letter to my MP.

I have written to my MP but not, so far, received a reply. My main gripe is the Pet Passport fiasco. Those that want to know how ridiculous it all is then just take a look at "Animal Health Certificate" page on FB. I often copy my MP (George Freeman) into some of the posts on there. Unlike others on here I do think that Spain and France will miss the overwintering retired British people. They spend a lot of money. The campsite we usually stay at is almost unviable without us.

This is the reply from my MP, received this morning.

George Freeman MP House of Commons London
SW1A 0AA
Dear George,
The Rt Hon the Lord Goldsmith of Richmond Park
Minister of State
Your ref: ZA36388 Our ref: MC2021/25222/DT
4 November 2021
Thank you for your email of 14 October on behalf of your constituent, Roger Peat, about pet travel. I am replying as the Minister responsible for this policy area.
We applied to the European Commission in February 2020 for the United Kingdom (UK) to be listed as a Part 1 third country for the purposes of the EU Pet Travel Scheme having met all of the stated conditions to be granted this. Instead, the UK has been formally ‘listed’ as a ‘Part 2’ third country which means that new rules apply to pet movements from Great Britain (GB) to the EU and Northern Ireland (NI). These rules are governed by the EU Pet Travel Scheme.
This means pet owners should ensure their dog, cat or ferret is:
• Microchipped
• Vaccinated against rabies at a minimum of 12 weeks old (followed by a 21 day wait
if it is a primary vaccination). Pets will not need to get repeat vaccinations for each trip to the EU if the rabies vaccination is up to date.
As a consequence of our Part 2 third country listing, pet owners can no longer use Pet Passports issued in GB for travel to the EU or NI and instead will need a single use Animal Health Certificate (AHC). An AHC can be obtained from an Official Veterinarian within 10 days of travel and is valid for four months for onward travel into the EU and NI, and re-entry into GB.
It may be useful to know that if the pet or assistance dog has a current Pet Passport issued by an EU-approved authority (either in an EU Member State or NI), an AHC may not be necessary. Pet owners should check with the authorities in the destination EU country that an EU Pet Passport would be accepted for entry from Great Britain. They should take any supporting documents that show valid pet health treatments, including Pet Passports issued in GB prior to 1 January 2021. If your constituents’ pets do have an EU Pet Passport, they should ensure that GB-based vets do not input rabies vaccination details into it as this may invalidate it.
Pets travelling to the EU must also:
• Provide a declaration of non-commercial movement
• Enter the EU via a Travellers Point of Entry (TPE) where there may be documentary
and identification checks. For travel to Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Malta, Finland and Norway, dogs will also need to be treated against the tapeworm Echinococcus multilocularis 24-120 hours before arrival.
DEFRA, Seacole Building, 2 Marsham Street, London, SW1P 4DF www.gov.uk/defra | +44 (0) 3459 335577
www.gov.uk/sustainabledevelopmentgoals

There are no changes to the pre-transition period pet travel requirements for entry into GB and we will continue to accept Pet Passports issued in the EU, NI and Part 1 listed third countries and Pet Passports issued in GB prior to January 2021.
Defra recognise the undue impact that these changes are having on many people, including pet owners, Defra has been clear that there are no animal health or biosecurity justifications for these additional rules to travel to the EU. We are seeking agreement from the European Commission on awarding GB ‘Part 1’ listed status and recognition of the UK’s tapeworm- free status. Achieving these would alleviate the most onerous pet travel rules for all travellers and we see no valid animal health reason for these to not be granted. We have one of the most rigorous pet checking regimes in Europe to protect our biosecurity and have submitted a detailed technical case setting this out and are continuing to engage with the EU on a workable solution.
Our advice for pet owners and travelling now is that they should contact their vet at least one month in advance. This is to ensure their pet has the correct vaccinations and paperwork to travel abroad.
We have updated our guidance on GOV.UK with detailed information on what pet owners must do to ensure a seamless journey for their pet to the EU or NI: https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad
In relation to your constituents’ concerns regarding the cost of Animal Health Certificates, I should clarify that all fees set by veterinary surgeons or veterinary practices are a private matter between individual practices and their clients and neither the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS), the UK regulator of the veterinary profession, nor Defra intervene in the level of fees that are charged.
Further information about vet fees can be found in the RCVS’ Code of Conduct for veterinary surgeons, which is available on their website via the following link: https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-standards/advice-and-guidance/code-of-professional- conduct-for-veterinary-surgeons/supporting-guidance/practice-information-and-fees/
However, if after having discussed this matter with their veterinary practice your constituents remain unsatisfied, they can relay concerns to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) by contacting them at the following address:-
CMA
Victoria House, Southampton Row, London WC1B 4AD
If your constituents have any further questions, they can contact the dedicated pet travel helpline on: pettravel@apha.gov.uk or via telephone 0370 241 1710 Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays).
Thank you once again for your email. With best wishes,
THE RT HON THE LORD GOLDSMITH OF RICHMOND PARK

This is the reply from my MP, received this morning.

George Freeman MP House of Commons London
SW1A 0AA
Dear George,
The Rt Hon the Lord Goldsmith of Richmond Park
Minister of State
Your ref: ZA36388 Our ref: MC2021/25222/DT
4 November 2021
Thank you for your email of 14 October on behalf of your constituent, Roger Peat, about pet travel. I am replying as the Minister responsible for this policy area.
We applied to the European Commission in February 2020 for the United Kingdom (UK) to be listed as a Part 1 third country for the purposes of the EU Pet Travel Scheme having met all of the stated conditions to be granted this. Instead, the UK has been formally ‘listed’ as a ‘Part 2’ third country which means that new rules apply to pet movements from Great Britain (GB) to the EU and Northern Ireland (NI). These rules are governed by the EU Pet Travel Scheme.
This means pet owners should ensure their dog, cat or ferret is:
• Microchipped
• Vaccinated against rabies at a minimum of 12 weeks old (followed by a 21 day wait
if it is a primary vaccination). Pets will not need to get repeat vaccinations for each trip to the EU if the rabies vaccination is up to date.
As a consequence of our Part 2 third country listing, pet owners can no longer use Pet Passports issued in GB for travel to the EU or NI and instead will need a single use Animal Health Certificate (AHC). An AHC can be obtained from an Official Veterinarian within 10 days of travel and is valid for four months for onward travel into the EU and NI, and re-entry into GB.
It may be useful to know that if the pet or assistance dog has a current Pet Passport issued by an EU-approved authority (either in an EU Member State or NI), an AHC may not be necessary. Pet owners should check with the authorities in the destination EU country that an EU Pet Passport would be accepted for entry from Great Britain. They should take any supporting documents that show valid pet health treatments, including Pet Passports issued in GB prior to 1 January 2021. If your constituents’ pets do have an EU Pet Passport, they should ensure that GB-based vets do not input rabies vaccination details into it as this may invalidate it.
Pets travelling to the EU must also:
• Provide a declaration of non-commercial movement
• Enter the EU via a Travellers Point of Entry (TPE) where there may be documentary
and identification checks. For travel to Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Malta, Finland and Norway, dogs will also need to be treated against the tapeworm Echinococcus multilocularis 24-120 hours before arrival.
DEFRA, Seacole Building, 2 Marsham Street, London, SW1P 4DF www.gov.uk/defra | +44 (0) 3459 335577
www.gov.uk/sustainabledevelopmentgoals

There are no changes to the pre-transition period pet travel requirements for entry into GB and we will continue to accept Pet Passports issued in the EU, NI and Part 1 listed third countries and Pet Passports issued in GB prior to January 2021.
Defra recognise the undue impact that these changes are having on many people, including pet owners, Defra has been clear that there are no animal health or biosecurity justifications for these additional rules to travel to the EU. We are seeking agreement from the European Commission on awarding GB ‘Part 1’ listed status and recognition of the UK’s tapeworm- free status. Achieving these would alleviate the most onerous pet travel rules for all travellers and we see no valid animal health reason for these to not be granted. We have one of the most rigorous pet checking regimes in Europe to protect our biosecurity and have submitted a detailed technical case setting this out and are continuing to engage with the EU on a workable solution.
Our advice for pet owners and travelling now is that they should contact their vet at least one month in advance. This is to ensure their pet has the correct vaccinations and paperwork to travel abroad.
We have updated our guidance on GOV.UK with detailed information on what pet owners must do to ensure a seamless journey for their pet to the EU or NI: https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad
In relation to your constituents’ concerns regarding the cost of Animal Health Certificates, I should clarify that all fees set by veterinary surgeons or veterinary practices are a private matter between individual practices and their clients and neither the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS), the UK regulator of the veterinary profession, nor Defra intervene in the level of fees that are charged.
Further information about vet fees can be found in the RCVS’ Code of Conduct for veterinary surgeons, which is available on their website via the following link: https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-standards/advice-and-guidance/code-of-professional- conduct-for-veterinary-surgeons/supporting-guidance/practice-information-and-fees/
However, if after having discussed this matter with their veterinary practice your constituents remain unsatisfied, they can relay concerns to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) by contacting them at the following address:-
CMA
Victoria House, Southampton Row, London WC1B 4AD
If your constituents have any further questions, they can contact the dedicated pet travel helpline on: pettravel@apha.gov.uk or via telephone 0370 241 1710 Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm (closed on bank holidays).
Thank you once again for your email. With best wishes,
THE RT HON THE LORD GOLDSMITH OF RICHMOND PARK
Crock of stuff

Oh dear :(
Perhaps the Tourism Minister might be interested in how many people are staying home with their pets?

Whenever anyone posts of a place that doesn’t make motorhomes welcome many say they will not visit there in protest. Why not do the same with the EU, send the relevant tourism minister and newspapers a letter saying you would be visiting them to spend your money but as they are being so pig headed you will go elsewhere. If you don’t protest you won’t get anywhere. It’s not our government

Whenever anyone posts of a place that doesn’t make motorhomes welcome many say they will not visit there in protest. Why not do the same with the EU, send the relevant tourism minister and newspapers a letter saying you would be visiting them to spend your money but as they are being so pig headed you will go elsewhere. If you don’t protest you won’t get anywhere. It’s not our government
They've been very nice to me !

Some of us have family in Europe.

Dogs and cats cross the irish border day in day out from Gb/NI to Irish republic which is an eu country without any paperwork, I'm having a talk to my cat about these unlawful wanderings tonight, don't think he will give one hoot mind you. 😂
😂 😂

I find this part of the reply encouraging

Defra recognise the undue impact that these changes are having on many people, including pet owners, Defra has been clear that there are no animal health or biosecurity justifications for these additional rules to travel to the EU. We are seeking agreement from the European Commission on awarding GB ‘Part 1’ listed status and recognition of the UK’s tapeworm- free status.

I will continue to keep my fingers crossed, without holding my breath!

Should have slipped him a fiver
I couldn't afford to bribe him - he wouldn't get off his bottom for less than £100K a year per client.

Rog, there's another petition doing the rounds about this now - apparently the last one didn't get enough signatures so they are trying again, I've signed it.

I couldn't afford to bribe him - he wouldn't get off his bottom for less than £100K a year per client.

Rog, there's another petition doing the rounds about this now - apparently the last one didn't get enough signatures so they are trying again, I've signed it.
That’s interesting Caz, any idea how to find it?

Thanks Caz.
I don’t want this post to turn too political, otherwise Phil won’t be too impressed, but I have signed all the petitions as well, thanks for your help👍

Have you heard the old saying that there's always someone worse off than you? Try being a 70-year-old Northern Irish / British man who can't go home in his motorhome without showing his passport and without spending a fortune taking his dog home, and that is just for starters. Read the answer you got from the MP the dog thing applies to you as well in England /Scotland and Wales. Don't know if the 90/180 days applies to ALL British citizens or not so will be writing to my MP to find out!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back