A Tale of Two Dealers

tonybvi

I recently suffered the dreaded n/s Hymer headlamp shattering so asked two dealers for cost estimates. I won’t name dealer B (although most of you will probably be able to identify them), dealer A is Knowepark Caravans in West Lothian. Their responses were:
Cost of part
Dealer A - headlight 1876.56 Euro, including vat, converted to £1603.35, delivery £82.50 inc vat. Total cost £1685.85
Dealer B - headlight £1876.56 (note the identical figure as above but this one is in GBP!) plus vat. Total cost £2251.87
Labour
Dealer A - 1 hour at £72 inc vat. Total £72
Dealer B - 3 hours at £133.33 plus vat. Total £480

So total cost of the job works out at Dealer A as £1692.85, whereas for Dealer B it comes to £2731.87, a difference of over £1000!! I emailed Dealer B to ask him to confirm that the cost of the headlight was in pounds Sterling and did not include vat. I got no reply!
So I got the job done at Knowepark and it came in near enough as estimated. The job took no more than 1 hour. They did a good job and all the staff are very helpful and knowledgeable so I would highly recommend them.
The lesson to be learnt is always make sure you get several cost estimates.

Forget the dealerships. Puts me off the idea of buying a Hymer A Class!
Ducato Headlight - under £100.
Fitting time - DIY Job, under 20 minutes.

I would make something up from car lights and cover with clear sheeting to look like factory job.
A lot of folk have done that using clear polycarbonate but I’m afraid a) I’m not particularly technically competent and b) I’m a lazy bugger!
The point of my post was not really the cost of the part (there are extensive posts about this on various forums and all agree that it is an absolute rip off, so much so that it puts folk off from getting a Hymer, or any other, A class) but to encourage people who have to use the dealer network to get several quotes.

A lot of folk have done that using clear polycarbonate but I’m afraid a) I’m not particularly technically competent and b) I’m a lazy bugger!
The point of my post was not really the cost of the part (there are extensive posts about this on various forums and all agree that it is an absolute rip off, so much so that it puts folk off from getting a Hymer, or any other, A class) but to encourage people who have to use the dealer network to get several quotes.
The motor trade as a hole is like this now, repairs to anything over 5 or so years old is not worth the cost, many cars vans here are in the breakers for this catch, time folk said no more.

Last edited:
Tony, you omitted the personal travel time to Stafford, also fuel from your to Stafford and back.

A few years back the electric drawer thingy that automatically locks all the kitchen cupboards when you start engine broke. Dealer BC motorhomes said the part was £85+ vat and a four week wait from Germany. Turns out the part was a central locking actuator from any VW Seat or Scoda built in the last 20 years cost `£3 from euro parts. Robbing bass.

Not had the headlight shatter problem (Hymer A class 2016), but there are three potential causes of shatter.

1. Overheating of daylight running lights. I replaced mine with LEDs, the bulb holders showed signs of discolouration by heat.
2. Incorrect tension on the three securing bolts. Top and bottom are standard bolts but the middle one is a two part adjustable bolt. Theory is unevenly tensioned bolts stress the lens causing shatter.
3. Stones thrown up by traffic, although some people report shattering whilst parked.

I use polycarbonate sheet to cover the stone chip scenario. Took a card template to my local shop sign maker. He cut me two covers for a little over £10. Drilled them in four places and bought suckers off EBay. I also use cable ties to doubly secure them.

557373D0-5FA6-4D6D-87FE-4A089A2CF4E9.jpeg2DD03F86-8EAB-4A86-87A2-962163A6D459.jpeg

A few years back the electric drawer thingy that automatically locks all the kitchen cupboards when you start engine broke. Dealer BC motorhomes said the part was £85+ vat and a four week wait from Germany. Turns out the part was a central locking actuator from any VW Seat or Scoda built in the last 20 years cost `£3 from euro parts. Robbing bass.
I completely agree. Two of my Auto-Trail plastic drawer catches broke, and rather than buy new plastic replacements I fettled up some metal scrap pieces into the same size and shape, and at nil cost.

My parts will see out either my van or me. 😳

Must admit I contacted brownhills last week got to,d they would have to get in touch with hymer Germany for the items I want they're calling me back
Never heard ought so after tony posted I thought I will call grant at knowepark just up the road from me had a few calls to say they will need to contact hymer as did brownhills nowt to date I have had three calls and about four emails letting me know the state of play gave me part numbers and prices and I emailed to say just order
Got another email wanting my full postal address and contact number do I want to collect or have them posted out
Draw your own conclusions to which has provided a better customer service and care
Well done Grant Findlay ay knowepark

Last edited:
2008 on our 6 month old Hymer A class had the N/S headlight shatter while we were parked up on a camp site in Brugge for the Christmas markets, Hymer UK wanted £800 + Vat and then labour on top, the original supplying dealer (a long standing Hymer dealer in Germany) sent a new headlight free of charge after I had sent him photos, I changed it myself in under an hour, didn't have any more problems with it in the 11 years we owned it, the following year got talking to a guy on the Hella stand at the European Truck Grand Prix at the Nurburgring and he said it's a known problem and if I had any problems to contact him and he'd supply a new one at 350 euro.

2008 on our 6 month old Hymer A class had the N/S headlight shatter while we were parked up on a camp site in Brugge for the Christmas markets, Hymer UK wanted £800 + Vat and then labour on top, the original supplying dealer (a long standing Hymer dealer in Germany) sent a new headlight free of charge after I had sent him photos, I changed it myself in under an hour, didn't have any more problems with it in the 11 years we owned it, the following year got talking to a guy on the Hella stand at the European Truck Grand Prix at the Nurburgring and he said it's a known problem and if I had any problems to contact him and he'd supply a new one at 350 euro.
Bit late to tell me that now! However I now know to contact Hella direct if it happens again. I did try to get Hymer to pay for it but had no luck whatsoever, despite it being a known problem, especially on the n/s assembly. Knowepark said it was a simple job and only took about an hour. Just make sure the three bolts are tensioned correctly.
I’m still pissed off that Dealer B tried to charge the same (plus VAT) in gbp as Dealer A (Knowepark) did in Euro (including VAT) for the part, and then did not reply when I queried this.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back