ADAC cancelling overseas members.

Clunegapyears

Just received the letter below from ADAC. I have just rung them for a translation. A political decision (not ADAC) apparently, is that they cannot offer the Plus membership to overseas customers anymore. This means if you continue with your ADAC membership you will only be covered within Germany. I was told they cannot cancel any renewals over the phone you have to email them to cancel. The email address is sb-qualitaet@adac.de

Just received the letter below from ADAC. I have just rung them for a translation. A political decision (not ADAC) apparently, is that they cannot offer the Plus membership to overseas customers anymore. This means if you continue with your ADAC membership you will only be covered within Germany. I was told they cannot cancel any renewals over the phone you have to email them to cancel. The email address is sb-qualitaet@adac.de
Not had that letter yet. So are they offering pro-rate refunds as they are changing the Terms of their service?

You had to give ADAC plenty of notice if you wanted to cancel your membership

You couldn’t just not renew or cancel just before renewal

You had to give ADAC plenty of notice if you wanted to cancel your membership

You couldn’t just not renew or cancel just before renewal
not if they are changing the T&Cs which results in them not providing the service you paid for.

I have German ADAC membership and I’m pretty sure I’m still covered when I come to England. Will check though.

UPDATE
My friends translation has come through. It is completely different to what I was told on the phone!
you had a claim on the ADAC insurance and under section B.3.a) they will kick you out of the ADAC Plus Membership and only insure you as a basic Member without the Plus benefits. This change will happen on 1.1.2020 when the membership fee is due.
What is completely strange is that we always have plus membership, as that was the only way you could get cover. I’ve had to cover for about four years now. Not going to challenge it as they only cover you for four months in Europe and they have a limit of €300 for each tow part of the claim. Have other cover.

Sorry to concern people, but I suspect they are looking at ways of getting rid of overseas customers.

Presumably it will only be a matter of time anyway before Brexit does for this anyway?
And cover in UK would become 'world'?

Last edited:
Presumably it will only be a matter of time anyway before Brexit does for this anyway?
And cover in UK would become 'world'?
Oh! You used the B word. Naughty!😣

I have subsequently checked my ADAC T&C’s and it seems they would gladly repatriate my stricken VW Cali back to Hamburg if I got stranded in Blighty. Very nice of them, and an absolute bargain for 84€ per year.

I think the general rule is they will repatriate the vehicle if a repair can’t be effected on 3 working days and fly you and passengers home. Not sure what happens to pets.

I have just renewed my membership by telephone to ADAC call centre in Cologne, transaction went thorough as normal and not a word mentioned to me about limited cover etc

This happened to us after we had a claim on ADAC a couple of years ago. They would only cover us in Germany unless we had a German address.

I have just renewed my membership by telephone to ADAC call centre in Cologne, transaction went thorough as normal and not a word mentioned to me about limited cover etc
Just because they didn't tell you about a change doesnt mean there wasn't one.
Probably worth reading the paperwork when you get it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back